PDA

View Full Version : PTG Bolt Head Firing Pin Hole Issue

CAPTBEACH
10-17-2014, 09:48 PM
OK, searched and didnt see this sooooo here it is...

Older 110FP in 300WM as a donor action...

Ordered a new PTG .473 Bolt Face for LA .500" lug...

I see where some people have an issue with small vs large firing pins and have to drill out the shank with a #25 (.1495") bit...not the problem here...its the actual firing pin portion of the firing pin will not fit into the new PTG firing pin hole...the shaft of the firing pin fits perfectly into the shank and then seems to strike the shoulder of the hole from the inside...so...what do I do? Drill the firing pin hole itself? If so what size?

ETA...just put a mic on it as near as I can tell its .070" ARE THERE TWO DIFFERENT SIZE FIRING PIN HOLES?

Thanks

Capt Beach

CAPTBEACH
10-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I guess I could chuck the FP into a drill press and apply some Emory paper or a stone and slowly turn down the size until it fit... REDNECK engineering at its best...

short round
10-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Mic tip of firing pin outside diameter to see if is oversize & check bolt head for burrs. Will firing pin tip go into bolt head from chamber side?

CAPTBEACH
10-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Will firing pin tip go into bolt head from chamber side?

NO...just a tiny portion actually just the rounded tip and then nothing more...it should slide in and out with an ever so SLIGHT friction fit...

Will check for burrs in the am when my eyes are tight...

Mic'd at .070"

CAPTBEACH
10-18-2014, 01:09 PM
So...are there two different size firing pin holes?

short round
10-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Mic-d two firing pins & they are .068", they both fit into two unused PTG bolt heads.

jonbearman
10-18-2014, 04:07 PM
I suspect if you sand the pin in a drill press you can ,if you take your time get the diameter right.Just keep checking the size in a few places to make sure you aren't making it too small in different places.

CAPTBEACH
10-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Mic-d two firing pins & they are .068", they both fit into two unused PTG bolt heads.

I am getting .070" with my mic but thats pretty close...the old bolt head the FP slides into the hole fmro the chamer in fine...then new PTG not at all...you can put them side by side and see a marked difference...