PDA

View Full Version : Other Than Feeding, What Other Differences Between C/F & S/F?

Kawabuggy
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I was wondering what the other differences are between the center-feed guns, and the stagger feed guns. I've heard that the bolt heads are a little different. Is the inside of the action, just behind where the barrel seats machined differently? I would think that there would be LESS machining of the inside of the action as the round will have a straighter shot to the chamber in a center-feed, as compared to a stagger.

What are the advantages of one system over the other? Why did Savage change over? I have a bunch of stagger feeds, and now I have bought one new gun with a center-feed. Are the stagger feed guns now obsolete? Just wondering why the change over of a system that was clearing working just fine. Is it possible to convert an older stagger feed to the newer centerfeed? Would there be any advantage doing this?

One minor-albeit VERY minor-thing about the C/F is that it's a little harder to load rounds into it. I have no drawbacks with the old stagger-feeds.

sharpshooter
04-14-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Magazine%20Conversions

Wtex
04-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I recently got a Stevens 223, I find the center feed difficult to load compared to every staggered feed I've ever shot. Maybe its not as bad with the larger rounds, but with the skinny round sometimes I get it stuck on either side of the magazine.

pdog06
04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
nice comparison article Fred. Cant get any more specific than that.