PDA

View Full Version : Stock causing trigger to not operate

dpollard
10-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I went to put my barreled action into my new stock this evening and it is causing my trigger to not operate correctly. The action is a model 11, short action, centerfeed, blind magazine. The stock is a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist, 2997 - http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-2092/Detail. The trigger is an accutrigger.

When I put the barreled action in the stock it presses against the trigger mechanism causing it to "fire". When I cycle the bolt while the action is in the stock the trigger locks in place and the safety part of the accu trigger will not move. When I take the action out of the stock it operates correctly. Below are some pictures of the problem. Sorry I am not referring to the part names, I just don't know what they are. The first picture is the correct positioning of the trigger when cocked and the 2nd one is showing that part of the trigger mechanism (the part connected to the bolt release) is getting pushed so far back that is it locking the safety part of the accutrigger into place, thus not allowing the trigger to be pulled.

Did I order the wrong stock or do I just need to modify the stock?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/pollard_derek/SavageTrigger2_zps49434b4b.jpg (http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/pollard_derek/media/SavageTrigger2_zps49434b4b.jpg.html)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/pollard_derek/SavageTrigger_zps89717001.jpg (http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/pollard_derek/media/SavageTrigger_zps89717001.jpg.html)

BillPa
10-15-2014, 08:21 PM
need to modify the stock?

If it works out of the stock then yes, either its interfering with the trigger or the sear. If you look closely you may be able to see a rub mark where its making contact. If not use a transfer material, inletting black/gold, lipstick or dry erase marker to show where its making contact.

Bill

dpollard
10-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Is Modifying a stock made for the action a normal thing to have to do?

BarrelBurner
10-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Is Modifying a stock made for the action a normal thing to have to do?

Unfortunately it isn't that uncommon, this is from Bell & Carlsen's site:

To this goal, unless otherwise indicated, all of the gunstocks we sell are designed to be a "drop-in fit." It must be noted however that due to the normal variations among models as well as certain tolerances that factories may or may not routinely adhere to, some minor fitting and/or additional parts may be required to achieve the desired results. Like most of us that take immense pride in crafting and owning a truly self-customized firearm, we hope you view this as an enjoyable and often necessary part of the refinement process. Although they are not always necessary and we take great care to achieve a drop in fit out of the box you must be willing to make them if necessary when your new stock arrives. Some of the more common adjustments required are discussed on our Fitting / Bedding page and are included in the box with every stock purchased.

snowgetter1
10-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Happens. Dremel out the area where the trigger makes contact.

dpollard
10-15-2014, 11:25 PM
If it works out of the stock then yes, either its interfering with the trigger or the sear. If you look closely you may be able to see a rub mark where its making contact. If not use a transfer material, inletting black/gold, lipstick or dry erase marker to show where its making contact.

Bill

Do you put the marking material on the action or on the stock?

barrel-nut
10-15-2014, 11:57 PM
I've had to do this several times. It helps if you have an idea of where you suspect that it's making contact. I use a tube of red lipstick that I sourced from my wife's war paint cabinet. Put it on the part of the trigger that you think is the offending part. Doesn't take much, so don't glob it on there. Then very carefully lower the action into the stock and press down slightly. Remove it carefully and look into the stock for a red mark. Dremel out the red part, plus a hair for clearance. Lather, rinse, repeat, until proper function is achieved.

BillPa
10-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Do you put the marking material on the action or on the stock?

On the trigger and sear, but one at a time.

One way to narrow it down a little, make some pencil marks of the positions of both the sear and trigger while its out of the stock. If one of the other isn't in the same position in the stock you'll know were to look.

Bill

sharpshooter
10-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Chances are that the trigger is touching the stock all the way to the rear just below where the return spring is. The relief cut is a bit shallow, pushing up on the trigger.

dpollard
10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Chances are that the trigger is touching the stock all the way to the rear just below where the return spring is. The relief cut is a bit shallow, pushing up on the trigger.

After examining more last night I think this is the case. I plan to put some lipstick on where I think it's touching and see if that is the case. Who would have ever thought lipstick and guns went together? :confused:

barrel-nut
10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
^lol. I agree, but couldn't find anything that works better for that particular purpose. Just don't leave it in your range bag where your buddies might see it..😳

Delaware_Ken
10-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Good Evening,

You might want to take a look at your old stock. I just went thru this, and comparing the two stocks saved me a lot of time and guesswork.

Ken

LongRange
10-16-2014, 08:49 PM
After examining more last night I think this is the case. I plan to put some lipstick on where I think it's touching and see if that is the case. Who would have ever thought lipstick and guns went together? :confused:

I built my 260 In a B&C A-5 and had to do work to it to get the action/trigger fitted....id also recommend you bed the action...the aluminum bock in my stock made my action and barrel cockeyed to the right...it shot great but took 2moa left to get zero at 200yds.