PDA

View Full Version : The .338 Edge is up and running

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

BarrelBurner
10-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Haha, that's awesome. I can't wait to get mine together and try some of those out, just for the heck of it. What brass are you using, BarrelBurner? I can't find brass ANYWHERE.

Its gonna be fun for you thats for sure!
I am just running Remington brass so far, it seems to do okay with it but it looks like am going to get maybe 4 or 5 loadings out of them and that's about it. I've been using the same batch and a few are getting a bit loose in the primer pocket already.

Loaded 300 RUM was $48 a box, not cheap but maybe a starter for you.

BarrelBurner
10-25-2014, 05:27 PM
I run 105gr plus of RL17 for my loads, there is nothing like a 160gr 4200 fps, I am going to rename it to a 338 swift,LOL. I really wish I could find a 12 or 14 twist I would run that
and see a couple hundred more FPS.

Dean

338 Swift, now that's a classic! You have my vote.
I would think a 12 twist with a slightly shorter throat would probably be the best of both worlds (accuracy and speed).
i am already thinking rolling around the idea of a sporter version, lighter barrel, etc.

scope eye
10-25-2014, 05:28 PM
That's what I would do is buy a box of loaded 300 RUM, then pull the bullets and use the brass and powder, 20 cases round robin 5 X is 100 shots, that is enough to get you going, and better than just staring at the thing.

Dean

scope eye
10-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Hey Spanky, I just sent you a pm with a link, on where to get some 300 RUM Brass.

Dean

BarrelBurner
10-25-2014, 05:53 PM
When the BA actions become more available, I am going to build a 338-378 Weatherby on that action, and with 125gr case capacity,
I am sure it will get those 160s north of 4500fps.

Dean

I cant image the performance level you'll get from a 378 Wthby case and that 160 gr pill. I don't even want to run the Trajectory and Energy numbers, I think I already want one! LOL

BarrelBurner
10-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Scope Eye, how many loadings are you getting on the 105gr loads before the brass is toast?
I meant to ask before and keep forgetting but what did you end up with on length on a loaded round with these 160's?
I have them at 3.820"

scope eye
10-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I shoot 3 times then I use this tool every time after that, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911104/r-w-hart-case-saver-swage-for-large-primer-pockets,
if I do that I can get 7 firings maybe 8, if you wait until it is to loose then you can only get 5, I use that tool a lot on other calibers also.

Dean

upSLIDEdown
10-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Whoa. First time I've heard of something like that... Must do research. Lol

scope eye
10-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Drybean has a used one for sale for short money.

Dean

upSLIDEdown
10-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Looks like it was sold on 9/24 accord to the edit notes on the first post.

Dennis
10-26-2014, 04:04 PM
I shoot 3 times then I use this tool every time after that, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911104/r-w-hart-case-saver-swage-for-large-primer-pockets,
if I do that I can get 7 firings maybe 8, if you wait until it is to loose then you can only get 5, I use that tool a lot on other calibers also.

Dean

Dean, how long does the punch last? This works on all Large Pocket Primer holes?

Dennis

Dennis
10-26-2014, 04:09 PM
I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/338300yds.jpg

scope eye
10-26-2014, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis;286451]Dean, how long does the punch last? This works on all Large Pocket Primer holes?

Hey Dennis, yes it is for large primer pockets, I have used it 100s of time and it's never broke, and I am the proverbial Bull in the China Shop.LOL

Dean

upSLIDEdown
10-26-2014, 05:58 PM
I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/338300yds.jpg

Dang. Maybe I shoulda bought an 8lb jug of Retumbo and not H1000

scope eye
10-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey Dennis not for nothing, but a Daisy Red Ryder could do that with one of those Nightforce 55X that I know you are sporting.LOL

Dean

BarrelBurner
10-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Heck, I can't hold good enough to shoot a group like that at 300yds.

Our rifle season opens this coming weekend in Texas and the Edge is going with me, hopefully I get to test them out on a critter!

D.ID
10-27-2014, 12:13 AM
I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.

Dennis
10-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Hey Dennis not for nothing, but a Daisy Red Ryder could do that with one of those Nightforce 55X that I know you are sporting.LOL

Dean

Dean, thanks for the reply on the primer pocket tool. I just saw a few comments stating the punch wouldn't hold up too long.

Anyway, when I was finding my load for my 338 Edge, I had and still have a Vortex (maybe 25 power) bolted on it. In fact it's still on the rifle. I have been temped to shoot it @ 600 yards, but the 7,000 grains of powder necessary to do so has kinda put a hold on that project. Who knows, maybe one day.

And "BarrelBurner", those shots were probably my 15th to 18th shots when I shot that group. My shoulder had about as much as it could take Using the Berger 300's. I feel lucky to have shot that group. I am glad Dean turned me on to the 160's as my shoulder doesn't feel nothing when shooting them.

I was about to give up tuning this thing in, and a person (I forget who) PM'd me and said Retumbo would be my best friend. That's all he said, no load info given. I tried it and have loved the rifle since.

As you can see, even with this rifle and 300's, a few grains of powder makes a difference. I would never have believed it unless I experienced it myself.

I also have the tuned stock accu-trigger on the rifle. I didn't do anything but bed the stock on this rifle. I plan on only using it for hunting.

Process: I bought a 7mm donor, changed the barrel to the 338 Edge, bedded the action/stock, mounted the Vortex scope, tweaked the trigger, and that's it folks. One of the most accurate cheapest rifles I have ever built. Kudo's to Mr. ScopeEye for making all the suggestions when I was building it and started trying out different loads.

Again, Thanks to everyone

Dennis
10-27-2014, 02:55 AM
I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.

I still can't imagine anything being hit with a 300 grain bullet out of the 338 Edge, maybe this season for me. The 160's @ over 4,200fps will also do the job right.

upSLIDEdown
10-27-2014, 03:33 AM
Dean, thanks for the reply on the primer pocket tool. I just saw a few comments stating the punch wouldn't hold up too long.

Anyway, when I was finding my load for my 338 Edge, I had and still have a Vortex (maybe 25 power) bolted on it. In fact it's still on the rifle. I have been temped to shoot it @ 600 yards, but the 7,000 grains of powder necessary to do so has kinda put a hold on that project. Who knows, maybe one day.

And "BarrelBurner", those shots were probably my 15th to 18th shots when I shot that group. My shoulder had about as much as it could take Using the Berger 300's. I feel lucky to have shot that group. I am glad Dean turned me on to the 160's as my shoulder doesn't feel nothing when shooting them.

I was about to give up tuning this thing in, and a person (I forget who) PM'd me and said Retumbo would be my best friend. That's all he said, no load info given. I tried it and have loved the rifle since.

As you can see, even with this rifle and 300's, a few grains of powder makes a difference. I would never have believed it unless I experienced it myself.

I also have the tuned stock accu-trigger on the rifle. I didn't do anything but bed the stock on this rifle. I plan on only using it for hunting.

Process: I bought a 7mm donor, changed the barrel to the 338 Edge, bedded the action/stock, mounted the Vortex scope, tweaked the trigger, and that's it folks. One of the most accurate cheapest rifles I have ever built. Kudo's to Mr. ScopeEye for making all the suggestions when I was building it and started trying out different loads.

Again, Thanks to everyone

Exactly what I want to hear. I've got a donor action from a 270 that I'll be using, barrel is on the way. Think I'm gonna spring for a NSS lug and barrel nut too. Plan to bed it in a Boyds stock. I've got 250 300gr hybrids and 8lb of H1000 to start, although it looks like I need to be on the lookout for some Retumbo. Guess we'll see when I get it all together. lol