PDA

View Full Version : Brothers new rifle

mr crab
10-13-2014, 08:42 PM
My brother's apartment was recently burglarized. All his weapons were stolen. He has always been impressed with my Savages and is asking my advice on which one to get. It will primarily be used for deer and hogs in Texas. I am considering the model 114 american classic and the model 116 Weather Warrior. Either way he wants stainless and would prefer wood over synthetic stock, but the difference in price is considerable. Just wondering if anybody here has opinions on the weather warrior's synthetic stock? And looking for suggestions if there is a more affordable wood/stainless option that I've missed. The must have options are stainless barrel and action, accutrigger, and .270 or .308 calibers. Thanks in advance

mr crab
10-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Also. Does the model 16 have the accustock? I was looking on buds guns online and I couldn't tell if it did or not?

Stockrex
10-13-2014, 10:01 PM
I would buy the savage axis on sale with rebate, you can get 2 rifles for the price of one SS.
Just lighten the trigger.
Be careful buying from buds, make SURE you take the savage model # and look it up on savage's website.
take the 5 digit model #. Bud is horrible with their desc. you might buy apples and get oranges.

big honkin jeep
10-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Also. Does the model 16 have the accustock? I was looking on buds guns online and I couldn't tell if it did or not?

It's my understanding that the newer ones have the accustock except for the ones that come as package guns like the Trophy Hunter XP.
It is also my understanding that the detachable mag setup is a plastic econo version (ala the axis) and different from the standard 116.
I'm not an Axis fan much preferring the 110 style action.
I recently picked up a non accutrigger version of the XP but haven't put it through it's paces yet. Though I haven't run it yet I have taken it apart and my opinion of the newer stock/DBM mag design seems a little suspect/ cheesy. I will probably tinker on this one and bought it for the price and fully expecting to cannibalize it.
As far as the 116s go I have a couple of the older ones and I'm a huge fan. I also have a couple of accustocked rifles that I like a lot. I cannot imagine that the marriage of the two would be a bad thing.
Never really had any problems with the older staggered feed blind box or detachable box designs with the dual pillar bedded stocks and actually get amazing accuracy. Just my opinion but I would choose either one of the older 116s or the new ones that aren't part of a package.
Good luck BHJ

mr crab
10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. Leaning toward the 16 with the accustock now.