PDA

View Full Version : 243 to 300WSM conversion

rinodods
10-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Looking at doing a 243 to 300WSM conversion. I realize I'll probably have to special order a bolt head as it will need to be push feed instead of controlled feed like the production 300WSM's. Where I'm a little foggy here is the front baffle and firing pin. I keep seeing differing info on pin size. Many say all calibers use the same diameter post 2001. Others say there is a different size for magnum heads. I've also seen that there is apparently a short action magnum front baffle. Any body have a clear idea of what is actually needed?

Tokimini
10-13-2014, 08:43 PM
I converted a 270WSM to a 6BR a while back. You are correct. You will have to replace at least the standard bolt head and firing pin for components specific to a WSM cartridge. I thought I also replaced the front baffle and firing pin spring but when I checked my spare parts all I could find was the old bolt head and firing pin. It would probably easier to just try and find a complete WSM bolt assembly.

SUTTERERMAN85
10-14-2014, 08:56 AM
I have a factory WSM bolt I converted to a 308 bolt face. The bolt head, baffle, and pin are all different than the standard short action stuff. It would be easier to get a complete bolt I would say also. The WSM stuff can be hard to find. Good luck

rinodods
10-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Shoot I'd do a complete bolt if I could find one.

bootsmcguire
10-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Check your email rinodods.

yobuck
10-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I did a 243 to a 300 wsm case a few years ago. Everything was fine except the magazine as for feeding.
I finally did get it straightened out at least sorta. Id personaly reccomend a short mag action.

Tokimini
10-15-2014, 02:17 PM
I went back and found a thread I posted when I finished my 270WSM to 6BR conversion detailing the parts I replaced.

finishing up my first Savage build
I am finishing up my first Savage build in 6BR and I don't want to get out to the range on Sunday and find I've missed something so I'm hoping some of you more experience builders will check my work. I started with a 270WSM Model 12 barreled action. Since it was a WSM I swapped out the bolt head for a .308 configuration and replaced the WSM firing pin and spring. I put on an 8 twist McGowen barrel and checked the headspace with a Clymer Go gauge and used the tape trick for a No Go gauge. I have a B & C Medalist tactical stock. I have free floated both the barrel and the tang on the rear of the action. Other than mounting a scope am I good to go?

rinodods
10-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Well I had a stroke of luck and managed to snag a custom bolt head from PTG that is made for short action including lug thickness. With any luck I won't need any other mods for the bolt. Thanks for the input fellas.