PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild a trophy xp 111

cookiemunster
10-11-2014, 11:59 PM
I have a 6.5X284 norma, Savage 111 trophy XP; i bought a drop in HS precision stock and a Shilen drop-in barrel and a new barrel nut and a new recoil lug.

I want them to work, as of now it won't because the gun I bought has a plastic stock that the detach mag seats into and the mag release is built into the stock.

So basically do I need to buy a frame plate for a long action and rear and front pillars I also need to buy trigger guard with the release built in to the trigger guard and a mag that'll fit the new frame plate/bottom metal that is a 6.5X284 Norma.

Will it work with that action. So basically all as I have is the old receiver and bolt.

Enlighten me on if I'm headed in the right path or a broken down dream.

If I'm in the wrong area I apologize now

jpdown
10-12-2014, 01:14 AM
The Savage 111 TH has plastic bottom parts. I assume you want to upgrade to metal bottom parts. You need a metal Savage LA, DBM Frame Assembly (surround), a metal LA DBM bottom cap to replace the plastic one you currently have on your DBM and a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard.

It is cheaper to just order a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard and plastic DBM Frame Assembly (surround) and use your current Axis-style DBM with plastic bottom cap.

The Savage rifle latch system on the plastic DBM and the metal DBM are different. So a plastic bottom DBM will only latch into a plastic DBM frame assembly and a metal bottom DBM will only latch into a metal DBM frame assembly. Call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He may stock the parts you need. Or your can call Savage Arms Parts and order what you need. As you would expect, the plastic parts are cheaper than the metal parts. When the Savage TH with plastic stock first came out, it had a removable plastic DBM frame assembly. But a couple of years ago Savage started molding it into the plastic stocks to cut manufacturing cost. Wood stocked Savage center feed rifles with DBM still have a separate plastic or metal DBM frame assembly. For example, the Savage 11/111 LWH models have a walnut stock with a plastic trigger guard, DBM frame assembly and DBM bottom cap to help reduce weight while I believe the Savage 14/114 American Classic still comes with all metal bottom parts.

cookiemunster
10-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks!

So what I'm trying to do is, I found serial numbers for a 7MM RM model 114 with all the SS parts and the DBM upgrade that you speak of with the SS bottom trigger release. Do you think this plan will work? Thanks for the tips jpdown.

I did buy my barrel/recoil lug and upgraded barrel nut from at Jim with Northland

adam.croner
10-15-2014, 06:55 PM
did you ever figure out what you need I may self have a trophy hunter xp in .308 and in the market for a stock but seem to be running into this issue

cookiemunster
10-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes, I found everything with Jim at NSS as jpdown suggested=thanks jpdown., parts came in today and put it together cant wait to do ladder test....