PDA

View Full Version : Light strikes in an older Savage 110 30-06.

johnmdaniels
10-11-2014, 09:33 PM
My Savage 110 has been having light strikes, so I ordered two new old stock firing pin assemblies from Numrich. One is bent. Easy enough to fix, but I'm glad I bought two.
Anyway, so I swap out the original firing pin assembly for one of the new ones, set and measure protrusion, and go to test fire some primed empty cases. Nothin'. Marked primers, and no bang. WTF?
So I put the old FP assembly back in just for shiggles, measure protrusion again, it's good. Test fire, expecting "click", not "bang". Goes bang every time, 10 cases in a row.
IDK WTF is going on. Does my rifle have a vengeful ghost?
Should I order a round of three Wolff extra power springs? I'm thinking about doing that anyway, since they're all old used assemblies and could probably use fresh springs anyhow.
Thoughts?

Appy- poly-logies to the admins if this thread is not in the right spot.

sharpshooter
10-12-2014, 01:31 AM
You probably have plenty of spring, but your'e lacking firing pin travel.

short round
10-14-2014, 09:41 PM
The pin that now goes bang, may have had crud in it, & is now O.K. New firing pin may need adjusted. With bolt out of rifle & in fired position does cocking piece pin have some free-play or is it bottomed out. If no free-play firing pin does not have enough travel. Extra power firing pin springs may cause pierced primers.

LHitchcox
10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Clean the guts of the bolt. Years of rust and crud can impede firing pin movement. I just helped a guy with that problem on a bolt action shotgun. You wouldn't believe the rusty brown crud that came out of the bolt.

BillPa
10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
...and don't forget the inside of the bolthead shaft, its why pipe cleaners were invented, to clean firing pin holes! :p