PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 S/A build or buy?

Anton Chigurh
10-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I have been thinking lately of setting up a dedicated LR rifle, all my current rifles are more geared toward hunting.

I'm interested in the 12LRP in 6.5CM or .260. This rifle seems to get very good reviews and be about the most bang for the buck ($950) for a factory precision rifle. I have read this model is coming with the HS vertical grip stock these days, but it looks to be the sporter style grip in the pics on the Savage website. This route would be easy, relatively cheap and could be upgraded down the line.

Another option is building something similar with a CBI or Shilen prefit. I have a 10PC in .308 that could be a donor, or could be sold to fund this project. This route would leave me with a custom barreled rifle with a stock of my choice, most likely Manners. It will cost more and take longer, and if I don't stick with the long range shootng I'd probably lose more money selling semi custom than a used factory rifle.

Would my model 10 action be as good as the 12's target action should I use it to build?

Any bad feedback on the 12 LRP?

Other Suggestions?

Armed in Utah
10-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Once you use the target action to build with...that's all you will wanna use...I have 3 or so set up & running..along with the older 'M' series & 'G' series solid bottom s/shots...the target A/trigger is awesome....nothin' wrong with the factory LRP series..I just prefer a SS precision target barrel...yes screwed into the target action...actually have an 18# 6.5 Swede set up w/28" tube...of your two caliber mentioned..I'd go 260 & Lapua brass...or the Swede & Lapua brass...yes my Swede is built on a SA target action..