PDA

View Full Version : Help me rebarrel

emmagator
10-10-2014, 10:28 PM
I have a savage 14 270wsm detachable magazine. I want to rebarrel to a 6.5x47. Can someone give me the rundown on what parts i need. Bolt, bolt face, firing pin, magazine etc...
thanks

bootsmcguire
10-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Bolt is same, but you will need a standard firing pin. IIRC the 6.5x47 uses a standard .473" bolt face. Also you will need a magazine body and follower for a 308 sized round to snap onto your DBM bottom.

2 things to remember are, if your 270 WSM is a CRF action, you will need to remove the standing ejector to be able to use the standard bolt head. Also remember when you order your new barrel that factory built WSM rifles use the Large Shank and so any barrel you fit to it regardless of chambering will have to be built Large Shank.

emmagator
10-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Bolt is same, but you will need a standard firing pin. IIRC the 6.5x47 uses a standard .473" bolt face. Also you will need a magazine body and follower for a 308 sized round to snap onto your DBM bottom.

2 things to remember are, if your 270 WSM is a CRF action, you will need to remove the standing ejector to be able to use the standard bolt head. Also remember when you order your new barrel that factory built WSM rifles use the Large Shank and so any barrel you fit to it regardless of chambering will have to be built Large Shank.
Awesome. thanks

jonbearman
10-11-2014, 04:00 PM
You will also need a go gage,barrel vise,barrel nut wrench, and I use a receiver wrench which I clamp in a bench vise. The barrel vice is optional once you get the factory tightened barrel off. Call Jim at Northland supply and he will walk you through what you need. 1-763-682-4296

normmatzen
10-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Be VERY careful!!!

Once you find out just how easy this job is, you are a lost soul!!

Next comes a special barrel for pigs, then a special barrel for elk. Then, in comes a fat bull barrel for long range with a 6BR. Whoops! now you need a precision target action with a better trigger. And, along comes a new Sharp Shooter Supply stock for bench rest.
Then you just have to have a 284 WIN barrel for F Class as ALL the top competitors use 7 mm! And, of course, the latest Night Force Comp scope at north of $2k!!

Don't say I didn't warn you!

emmagator
10-11-2014, 06:32 PM
what is a standard firing pin? aren't the new pins .095 diameter? or are you talking length. i see pins online that say long version or short version?

LongRange
10-11-2014, 06:43 PM
You will also need a go gage,barrel vise,barrel nut wrench, and I use a receiver wrench which I clamp in a bench vise. The barrel vice is optional once you get the factory tightened barrel off. Call Jim at Northland supply and he will walk you through what you need. 1-763-682-4296

just a tip...on the factory barrels just put a little heat to the nut and they come right off.

bootsmcguire
10-11-2014, 10:51 PM
what is a standard firing pin? aren't the new pins .095 diameter? or are you talking length. i see pins online that say long version or short version?
The WSM's use a thinker bolt head and thus use a longer firing pin.

Old Savages like from the 90's on back used a larger diameter pin. Anything in the last 10-15 years (give or take) should have the smaller diameter pin. Now in your case since you have the WSM the pin will be the smaller diameter but your pin is longer than a standard Short action pin and shorter than a Long action pin. To do the conversion you want, you will need a standard Short action, small diameter pin (assuming you get a newer style bolt head for the small diameter pin) to go with the standard size bolt head. I hope that all makes sense. if it doesn't, PM me and I'll get you my number and help talk you through.

emmagator
10-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Will i be able to use my current centerfeed 270wsm dbm? if not what do i need?

bootsmcguire
10-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Just a mag box and follower for the 308 family. Snap it right onto the base for your DBM mag.