PDA

View Full Version : Model 112 problems

pahoghunter
10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
I recently purchased a 112 FVSS-S, stainless fluted barrel, single shot in .223. It is pre-Accu trigger some one did a trigger job on it including changing the spring, its now about 3.5 lbs. It has one of the older cheap stocks (very flimsy) one day I will find one of the better Savage stocks and replace it, it has to be Savage to keep it factory for shooting matches. My problem is when I have the gun on the bench I put the crosshairs on the bullseye and as I start squeezing the trigger I can see the crosshairs start moving, generally down. This morning the crosshairs moved down toward the 7 o'clock position, dry firing it when the firing pin dropped it moved down even further, I thought it should move back up? I tried different trigger pulling methods to no avail, I tried holding the stock more firmly I tried limited cheek weld nothing works. The torque on the mounting bolts is 30 inch lbs. I've tried the torque from 5 to 30. The action is glassed from the barrel nut to and including the tang. My next move is to remove the bedding around the tang. Any other ideas?

J.Baker
10-10-2014, 04:49 PM
If your crosshair is moving on the target then the gun is clearly moving - either the action in the stock or the whole works in the bags/rest. Since it's bedded I'm guessing it's a matter of moving in the bags and no amount of changing bedding or anything else on the rifle is going to fix that.

Factory tupperware stocks are horrible for trying to shoot off the bench. The forearm is generally to narrow - even for the narrowest #1 front bags, so about the only way to get a good solid front rest is to use a bipod which presents it's own problems. Then the butt stock has to much drop at the toe causing to steep of an angle for bench work which results in even the slightest movement fore or aft to cause a major elevation change down range (likely what you're experiencing).

bootsmcguire
10-10-2014, 11:14 PM
My advice to you is re-stock it with a factory stock to comply with your match rules. Become a paid member here, often times factory stocks like what you are looking for come up in the classifieds here. If you are paid member you can access those classifieds and lots of member only articles and how-to posts that will help you make your Savage be its best.

JMHO.

GaCop
10-20-2014, 07:42 AM
You can also check out Numrich gun parts, they usually have Savage stocks to include the nice laminated wood ones.