PDA

View Full Version : First session with my new Axis II .223, couldn't be happier!

bigkahuna
10-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I just got an Axis II XP in .223 last week and had a chance to take it to the range earlier this week. The shop claimed that the scope had already been bore sighted, but the first 8 rounds down the pipe weren't even close. Had a range officer spot me and at 50 yards I was shooting way off to the right! So I pulled the bolt and bore-sighted the scope myself (first time for me but it wasn't hard at all) and to my surprise my first shot missed the middle of the bull by only about 3/4". Not bad! The second shot touched the first. Wow! And the third went through the same hole as the first. Oh my gosh! What a shooter! I've circled my first 4 in the photo below. I'm using American Eagle 55 grain and shooting off sand bags.

The rest of my groups weren't anything special. Not sure if it's the guy behind the gun, the flexy plastic stock, the scope, the ammo, or the fact that the wind started to pick up. Or maybe all of those things combined. But one thing is for sure, this rifle is capable of very good accuracy.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vxowm0.jpg

drybean
10-10-2014, 11:38 AM
IT only gets better , great shooting

sixonetonoffun
10-10-2014, 11:41 AM
223 Axis + AE55gr ammo = good times shooting!

wbm
10-10-2014, 12:50 PM
the flexy plastic stock

Sometimes it amazes me how many times we see "cheap tupperware stock" "flexy stock" etc. with the assumption that if one replaces the "flimsy" stock better accuracy will result. From my experience it most often does not. I have two Axis rifles in 223 and 22-250. Both shoot extremely well in the factory stocks. I bought a laminate stock and put it on each rifle in turn....it did not improve accuracy one bit! I have done this experiment with lots of Savage rifles over the years and essentially gotten the same results. Heavy recoil rifles with varmint or bull barrel contours most often do need a more substantial stock but for the average sporter barrel rifle I don't think it r necessarily so.

bigkahuna
10-10-2014, 01:33 PM
@wbm - Interesting point. I don't know if this effected my groups, but I was careful to rest the rifle on the bags just in front of the magazine, probably one of the stiffer spots of the stock. I hope to go to the range this weekend and work on my 100 yd groups, which were OK but I'm hoping to do better.

tufrthnails
10-10-2014, 02:06 PM
@wbm - Interesting point. I don't know if this effected my groups, but I was careful to rest the rifle on the bags just in front of the magazine, probably one of the stiffer spots of the stock.
This is why at least for me the Tupperware stock gets a bad name. Put a bi-pod on the end of a tupperware stock and see where your group goes. The fact that I am missing most of the forend that I can rest my rifle on plays big in hunting situations that is why I replaced my tupperware stock as soon as I could.

bigkahuna
10-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I've already ordered a Boyds FWT thumbhole stock. Should be here next week. Even if I don't get an accuracy gain, I really like the looks of that thumbhole stock. :)

wbm
10-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Put a bi-pod on the end of a tupperware stock and see where your group goes.

Never had a problem with that either. Long as you just do a bit of forward loading and don't try to torque the bi-pod they work just fine.

I really like the looks of that thumbhole stock. :)

Yeah. They really look great on my Axis.

tufrthnails
10-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Never had a problem with that either. Long as you just do a bit of forward loading and don't try to torque the bi-pod they work just fine.

Agree to disagree...unless you are talking about something other then a factory savage stock made in the last 2 years in which case I have no experience with. The only thing I ever bought with a plastic stock before my savages was a muzzle loader and it shoots better then the savage with plastic stock rested at the end of the forearm. (To be fair that muzzleloader shoots better then any muzzleloader I have ever shot)

OldLobo
10-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I have also had fantastic results with the Axis using the AE rounds. Change rounds, group goes wider to 1", go back to the AE and groups go back to .5" or less. Whatever the specifics of this round are, the Axis loves em. I have heard they also like the 62gr Fusions, but have not personally tested them (yet, they are bought though).

I have shot BrassMax, Fiocchi, Federal, and, Hornady 55gr all FMJ, and nothing compares to the AE for accuracy in this particular rifle in my experience. Hornady 55gr SP in fact was the worst of the bunch at 2", I thought my scope came loose, but checked the rifle over and all was good so switched back to the AE and "the world became right again".

Two things I have noticed in this and Im guessing the whole Axis line is: 1: don't rest the rifle way out on the forearm as it's too lightweight in build, and control the jump using old school grip/web sling, or, wrap a grip over the receiver. The recoil angle seems to promote barrel rise in the Axis. Not a pro, but my 2c...

Enjoy your new rifle!

savage2014
11-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Can I ask which AE ammo you guys are talking about? Is it the one in red box 30/box in stripper clips, or the black box with 20 ?
Thanks

bigkahuna
11-07-2014, 09:54 AM
First ammo I tried was the AE black box 55 grain. Then tried Federal bulk 55 grain. Then tried Perfecta 55 grain. So far I don't see much difference between the three when shooting 50/100 yds, but that's most likely operator error and poor optics. I've got a new scope coming and hope to start tightening up my groups here soon.

Two observations now that I've had my Axis II for a while: First, the rifle seems to shoot tighter groups with a cold barrel. At least that's the way it seems. My first groups at the beginning of a shoot always seem to be better than later on. The other thing I'll mention is that I absolutely -hate- the Axis magazines and how they seat in the receiver. My Mk II .22lr which cost half as much is 10x better in this regard. In fact, the Mk II overall seems like a better made rifle. The bolt operates smoother, the magazines "click" into the receiver, and rounds cycle smoothly. The only solution for the issue with the Axis is to not use the magazine and replace it with a single shot ramp (which I hope to do).