PDA

View Full Version : Long action 450 bushmaster

bigred94
10-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi guys, I have a older long action staggered feed action setting around and a new 450 bushmaster barrel on the way. I know this is not the best action for this round but is it possible to make it work? The bolt face is either 30-06 or 7mag. Would like to feed from mag box but don't know if that's possible.

Thanks

bootsmcguire
10-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Yes it is very possible. You will need a 30-06 size bolt head for the 450BM. I originally put mine in a 110 LA-SF action and it worked great. The only mod I had to do was remove the mag body from the action and use a file/dremel and smooth of the corners of the mag well opening in the front of the action. Mine were very sharp and the mouth of the brass liked to catch on them when the rounds would feed out of the mag. After that it worked great.

Build, and enjoy and let us know how it works for you.

bigred94
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info. The barrel is a deal on its own. I attempted to buy one on eBay for apache but I could not place a bid on any of his items. ( never done business with him at all) I attempted multiple time to email him and no response was returned so I looked elsewhere. I came across bison gun works. He uses the same green mountain blanks and is well priced.
Hope to write a review on it after the 2 week production he has on his barrels.

bigred94
10-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Forgot to ask but did you have to use and mag block in the long action?

bootsmcguire
10-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Nope I sure didn't. Just slid the rounds to the rear of the mag and she worked like a dream.

Please do post up a review of your barrel when you get it shooting. I have never heard of Bison Gunworks so I am sure we all would like to hear how your barrel turns out.

bigred94
10-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Not saying anything about Jim, just couldn't get in touch with him in the days the one was up for placing bids.
Bison also sells on eBay. www.bisongunworks.com. He has a great selection of reamers. Was told when placed ordered it would be around two weeks, which I did not think was bad for a barrel. Will write a review and place pictures (if I can figure out that part) after I get the rest of the needed parts and barrel installed