PDA

View Full Version : 111 Trophy Hunter xp to 110?

Bo0YaA
10-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Hello I'm new to the forum and was directed here with a question. I recently purchased a new 111 Trophy Hunter xp in 6.5x284 and I'm looking to make it short enough for my 14 yr old daughter to shoot. As I'm sure many of you know, its near impossible to find a youth stock (for a decent price) for the long action savages. So my idea was to buy a cheap wood 110 LA stock off Ebay and cut it to fit her. Only problem is the 110's have a blind mag and my gun has the removable box mag. Ive done some reading and have found the mag retaining clip on Savages site. Just curious if this is all I need along with the BM parts to make the conversion.

Thanks in advance!

jpdown
10-10-2014, 12:35 AM
The stock hole spacing (5.0") did not change on Savage long actions when they went from stagger feed to center feed. Nurmrich Gun Parts has numerous Savage LA SF and CF stocks that might work for you. The Savage 111 TH has a center feed action. Order a Savage LA CF wood stock with DB magazine inletting and cut the buttstock down to fit your daughter. You will need a LA plastic frame assembly (surround) to make your current Trophy Hunter DBM work in a wood stock.

You could also order a Savage LA, CF stock from Boyds Gunstocks and have them cut it to length of pull and put a 1" Pachmyar decelerator recoil pad to help tame recoil. The extra weight will also tame recoil. You will also need to order the LA plastic frame assembly from Savage Arms Parts if you want to use your DBM. Or your can go the CF blind magazine stock route a described below.

Another option is to get a cheap Savage LA staggerfeed or centerfeed wood stock with a blind magazine and cut it to fit your daughter. Numrich Gun Parts has a pretty good selection. Squeeze the sides on your current DBM and pop the plastic bottom cap off the magazine box and follower. Now you have a blind magazine. You don't need a L-clip. I just tape the magazine in place to the action with a business card in between the bolt and magazine lips. Put 4 small balls of plumbers epoxy putty in the corners of the blind magazine well. Put release agent on the corners of the magazine box and assemble the stock to the action pressing the magazine box into the plumbers epoxy putty. Wait about 5 minutes, remove the action and magazine box from the rifle. You now have a firm bed in the plumbers epoxy putty at the correct height for feeding cartridges from the magazine box. Trim up and remove any excess putty with a sharp knife before it hardens completely. Put two small wood screws in the grooves on each side of the magazine box and it will stay in place, since the spring-loaded follower wants to push the box around the blind well which is slightly oversized on the older SF stocks with a blind magazine.

tnhunter814
10-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Order a youth stock from numrich. $75 to your door