PDA

View Full Version : Building 243AI. with 18" barrel 1-8 twist.

21Bravo
10-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I thinking of building 243AI savage. I have 243 lrp. Now, 26" barrel is so muzzle heavy. I'm interested going short and suppressed. Ackley to make up velocity loss.With 1-8 twist to shoot 105vld. My main concerns are 1. Velocity to expect lights and heavy bullets 2.lightest varmint bullets I could shoot effective with the fast twist?

scope eye
10-09-2014, 05:09 PM
You will probably be able to shoot any bullet you like, you will only start to see the lighter bullets fly apart at 3500-3600 fps, could be more could be less depending on how smooth the bore is, which will be close to your max anyway, so I would not worry about it and as far as the heavier ones, you will probably end up close to the same FPS with your shorter barrel since you will lose roughly 200 FPS with the shorter barrel, and gaining roughly 200 FPS with they AI so it is a wash.

Dean

CAPTBEACH
10-17-2014, 08:20 PM
You will probably be able to shoot any bullet you like, you will only start to see the lighter bullets fly apart at 3500-3600 fps, could be more could be less depending on how smooth the bore is, which will be close to your max anyway, so I would not worry about it and as far as the heavier ones, you will probably end up close to the same FPS with your shorter barrel since you will lose roughly 200 FPS with the shorter barrel, and gaining roughly 200 FPS with they AI so it is a wash.

Dean

He beat me to it...I was going to say almost the exact thing until I read his reply...