PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 30-06

Pages : 1 [2]

03mossy
10-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I use Talley one piece rings and bases, I will give them a check this weekend. Man I hope its not the scope!!! No time to ship it out and get it back before the season. Its a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 that has seen action on a AR, 270 wsm, and a .50 muzzleloader. Its my scope I use before I decide what should go on the specific gun.

Wildboarem
10-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Maybe try a premium type loading in the 150-165gr range. Fusion and core-locts are the kind of the low end offerings from Federal and Rem. Remington makes a couple premium offerings as does Federal , Win and others. Expecting high end results with low end ammo may be a stretch. How much do you value your hunt? Cutting corners on ammo is not where I try and save money. If I total how much time ($), energy, money I dedicate to a hunt, missing an opportunity because of $20 ammo is unacceptable to me. If the cheap stuff shoots than great, if it doesn't, change it or upgrade it.

Luke45
10-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Maybe try a premium type loading in the 150-165gr range. Fusion and core-locts are the kind of the low end offerings from Federal and Rem. Remington makes a couple premium offerings as does Federal , Win and others. Expecting high end results with low end ammo may be a stretch. How much do you value your hunt? Cutting corners on ammo is not where I try and save money. If I total how much time ($), energy, money I dedicate to a hunt, missing an opportunity because of $20 ammo is unacceptable to me. If the cheap stuff shoots than great, if it doesn't, change it or upgrade it.

just becasue a load has a bonded or premium bullet doesnt mean its held to any tighter specs than the cheap stuff.

Wildboarem
10-27-2014, 10:30 PM
just becasue a load has a bonded or premium bullet doesnt mean its held to any tighter specs than the cheap stuff.

So federal fusion an federal gold medal match are same? If you've ever deconstructed ammo or even shot same brand different bullet of the same weight, you might find there will be different powders used and different velocities and SD when shot over the crono. Plus different bullets of the same weight shoot differently in some if not most barrels. There is a reason $20/box ammo is $20/box. Its also why dont use Winchester white box ammo as my personal defense ammo. It might be good for the range but the quality is now where near the premium self defense ammo. It's not that it can't shoot well, it's that if it doesn't I might think about upgrading.

03mossy
10-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Alright I'm sitting at the work bench scratching my head. I checked the rings and everything was tight (25 in lbs per talley). I then took the top rings off and the base screws were also tight. Got everything put back together and snuggled down. So how do I tell if the scope has indeed took a crap? I'll shoot tomorrow and let you know what happens. Never had issues this close to deer season!

Wildboarem
10-28-2014, 12:11 AM
You could throw your scope back on a the rifle you know shoots and see if its consistent with holding previous group size, depending on how much time you have.

BillPa
10-28-2014, 09:39 AM
So how do I tell if the scope has indeed took a crap?

One way, use a optical bore sighter like a Bushnell w/arbors , Leupold Zero Point and etc.. Record the current settings ( turrets and grid) then turn them they're entire range, U-D, L-R. You should be able to turn them back to they're previous settings. If not its time to try a known good scope.

You can also check the mount(s) rings to some degree by pushing on the scope forward-back and diagonally and tapping on the turrets to see if it moves on the grid.

Bill

03mossy
10-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Went to the range over lunch again and I am less panicked now. Something must have been loose on the rings cause I retightened everything back up last night and had better results today. Took me three shots to get the scope back to close at 100 then I shot the groups in this order. Rem 165's, Rem 180's, Rem 150's, Fed 165's and then another group with the Rem 165's on the bottom right dot. I shot that last group immediately after the Fed group so maybe barrel heat made it not as tight as the first Rem 165 group. Ill head back there tomorrow and try a cold bore group again with the 165 rem's and if its like that first one today ill be happy!

(The circles are 2 1/4" across)
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/nyleswgentz/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141028_130150_zpskjccu5q7.jpg

03mossy
11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Went one more time today and brought a box of Barnes 168ttsx. Shot those and also another group with the 165 Rem's. The Barnes grouped right at about an inch and a little better than the Rem's. I'm going with the Barnes for this season. Thanks for all the advice.

Nandy
11-05-2014, 07:18 PM
glad to see you have it fixed!

03mossy
11-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Well I hunted with this rig for 4 days this past week with the temps never getting above 12 degrees. One morning starting out it was -8. I did not even see a single deer!!!! Guess Ill have to wait till next year to test the bullets.

Nandy
11-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Bummer, good luck next time around...

sixonetonoffun
11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
The snow was rediculous! I went out with the kids opening weekend before it hit. Land we usually hunt was over run with fly in in-laws and their friends.

So we just posted out back on 20 acre woods. Managed to drive a nice buck and doe out towards the other party :-)

After the 22.5" snow I didn't bother going back out even when neighbors offered to drive our woods "for us".

Well I hunted with this rig for 4 days this past week with the temps never getting above 12 degrees. One morning starting out it was -8. I did not even see a single deer!!!! Guess Ill have to wait till next year to test the bullets.

5spd
11-18-2014, 08:25 PM
I run a 125g JSP in my Savage 111 30-06 for antelope & deer out here to 600 yards.
Those are my handloads though.
If I was not reloading Id stick to 150g or 165g max for deer.

Luke45
11-19-2014, 09:42 AM
I run a 125g JSP in my Savage 111 30-06 for antelope & deer out here to 600 yards.
Those are my handloads though.
If I was not reloading Id stick to 150g or 165g max for deer.

i used to run similar, 125 gr sierra w/ 54.5 gr 4064

BillPa
11-19-2014, 10:02 AM
After the 22.5" snow I didn't bother going back out

22.5" of white stuff ???? Tell ya what, I'd put another log on the fire, put on sweats and put my old butt in the recliner and the first deer that walked in the camp door would be in a heap of trouble!

At my age there are two things I live by....
1. Deer are where they find me.
2. Why should I hunt'm, they ain't lost!:p

Bill