PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: "rough" sliding bolt on 93FVSR?

hardrock86
10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Hello,
A few weeks ago I ordered a Savage FVSR with synthetic black stock and threaded barrel online. Its been just sitting in the box until I get a scope for it. My question is when I was looking at the youtube videos, the action seemed extremely smooth on this rifle when cycling through rounds. However on mine, the bolt does not go forward and back as easily, and almost seems to get caught sometimes (if that makes sense), and I have the jiggle the bolt slightly to get it back in the loaded position. Practically speaking, it seems as if I would have trouble keeping my eye on the target when the bolt action is not smooth at all.

Is there anything I can do to try and make this action smoother? I can take photos, etc if needed, since I understand it can be difficult to explain the issue in words.

Thanks in advance.

Kokopelli
10-09-2014, 11:04 PM
have you oiled it well?

hardrock86
10-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Yes that was the first thing I did.

Kokopelli
10-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Mine wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, but it got better after oiling and cycling a bunch. I've only had it to the range once and hope after a cleaning it's be some better still. I'm about to adjust the trigger just now.

hardrock86
10-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Thats good to hear. I hope after taking it to the range that it gets in its stride and performs well. I have an Axis that shoots great with a smooth action so see no reason why something cant be done with this as well.

rasmith3530
10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Remember that too much oil will attract grime, and this can affect function of your rifle's action. As others have noted, using it will break it in.

Kokopelli
10-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Clean and re-oil...

Remember that too much oil will attract grime, and this can affect function of your rifle's action. As others have noted, using it will break it in.

savagetoter
10-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Clean and re-oil...The first thing I did when I got my .17 HMR. Always do that. This is good advice from Kokopelli here. There is probably grime from the factory still in the receiver and on your bolt. I scrubbed mine down with Hoppes #9, then used blast free on everything. I sprayed it down a bit with RemOil, and used some compressed air to lightly blow the parts out.

I think you will find with some use, it will smooth out a bit.

rasmith3530
10-13-2014, 02:46 AM
There was grime from the manufacturing process in my Mark 2 when I got it. I used the Synthetic Blend Hoppes #9 followed by FrogLube CLP before ever firing it. Just don't over lube.

sharpshooter
10-13-2014, 10:47 PM
I seen a lot of these with the same problem. It is almost always caused by the receiver being in a bind. Loosen your action screws and see if it frees up.

rasmith3530
10-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Sharpshooter, do you know the correct torque spec for those screws, and is it different for the wood vs fiber stocks?

Kokopelli
10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
18 inch pounds IIRC

hardrock86
10-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Thank you guys for the help. Ill check out these options, and try the action screws once I can get my hands on a torque wrench.

Kokopelli
10-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Get a FAT wrench.. great tool to have at the workbench..

shagerott
10-15-2014, 09:02 AM
I had one where the bolt guide was to one side. It would catch and drag on the bolt. Some adjustment to center the bolt guide cured the problem. Check for magazine function while adjusting the bolt guide alignment.