PDA

View Full Version : Broken Crossfire

HuntnID
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay, so I was having some rifle troubles and then I began looking really close at the scope, a 6-24x50 Crossfire, I have noticed that the turrets can move up to four clicks each shot, and even when it moves and I return it to where it was, the impact is till a little off. I have searched the forums and seen that this is not the only occurrence of this. I am curious as to if this problem is remedied by sending it back?

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Is this at the center of travel or on the extreme ends of travel?

I have one that works fine in the middle area but when you get out to the ends of the up travel it flakes out.

Slowpoke Slim
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow,

These are the first negative things I've heard about Vortex optics.

Great.

I have a Viper 6.5x20-50 coming in the mail from cameraland. Now I'm worried I made the wrong choice. One bad scope I could see getting by, but you guys are saying this is common for the crossfires? I know it's a cheaper scope than the Viper but... ?

They say their warranty is unlimited, so why not just send it back and have them fix or replace it?

HuntnID
04-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I have heard great things about the Viper. Don't worry. I will probably send it back and get it replaced. I was contemplating upgrading but I can't really afford to right now. It was in the middle of the travel. The knob actually was moving with each shot.

uad7116
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
send it back they will fix it or replace it at no charge, just give them a call and they will send you a pre-paid shipping label and take care of the rest, they are great people to deal with.

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
The Viper is a much higher quality scope than the Crossfire. (more money too of course.)

Crossfire is made in China, the Viper is made in Japan as I recall. So are the Razors and the Diamondbacks. The Sparc and Strikefire are made in China.

For the money the Crossfire is an excellent scope but don't expected it to stand toe to toe with the Viper or even the Diamondback.

HuntnID
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't expect it to stand toe to toe with the Viper. I am very happy with it. The glass is great, the reticle is awesome. I was just curious if the turrets will continue to move after I get it fixed. If the flaw was just inherent in the Crossfire line.

rjtfroggy
04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I would think it will be replaced with a new one that won't move around.
Don't be surprised if they offer you an upgrade at a very reasonable cost, and if they do jump on it. From what I have heard the vipers are leaps and bounds above the crossfire.

82boy
04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
This is the first report I have heard of any one crossfire having a problem. Vortex has an excellent warranty and will stand behind their product.

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
The knobs / clicks on the Crossfire are pretty cheesy but for the price I can't complain. They move a total of about 1/2 a click without actually clicking. You can turn the knob partially in both directions quite a bit without it ratcheting over on a click detent. It also tends to stay there once you let go which means that you could be off (albeit probably under 1/8 MOA) a bit in either direction depending on which way you turned the knob last.

I am sending this one back (the one where the reticle doesn't move for about 15 or 20 MOA of travel near the ends of the travel range. I already replaced it with another identical model and it tracks great and holds a zero. I have three in use and they all have the play in the knob clicks but only the one has the tracking issue.

USAF_TRobertson
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Where's the best place (online) to pick up a Vortex scope?

82boy
04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
camera land and SSS

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Vortex should be the same price on all authorized dealer web sites.

Slowpoke Slim
04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I got mine from cameraland. It was in stock, in the mil dot, they had the sun shades too. And it was free shipping. I got the 6.5-20x50. Had it in less than a week.