PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head for 7mm rem mag

joeb33050
10-07-2014, 04:18 AM
I bought a 7 mm rem mag barrel here and now need a bolt head to fit. I have short action rifles.
Is 7mm rem mag chambered in short actions?
Will a long action bolt head fit in a short action bolt?
All small shank.
Thanks;
joe b.

GaCop
10-07-2014, 04:47 AM
I don't recall any short actions being chambered in the 7mm mag, action is too short for the round to feed from a magazine designed for that receiver. I'm not familiar if a LA bolt head will fit a SA bolt. Buying a custom barrel, you could have a large shank barrel done in that caliber but the factory barrels were/are small shank.

jpdown
10-07-2014, 09:39 AM
You need a Savage long action, 7mm RM, 338 magazine box and magnum bolt head for a 7mm Rem Mag barrel.

joeb33050
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
You need a Savage long action, 7mm RM, 338 magazine box and magnum bolt head for a 7mm Rem Mag barrel.

Is there no bolt head to fit 7mm RM on a short action bolt? I shoot always single shot, no magazine required.

jpdown
10-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Go to Midway USA and do a search for Savage Bolt Head. You will get pictures of available Savage short action bolt heads with magnum face (.540"). I assume your current Savage SA rifles are all push feed. All the magnum bolt heads I see have a slotted bolt head for Savage SA's with standing ejector. It looks like PPG offers a Savage SA, magnum face, push feed bolt head. Don't see them in stock very often. May need to go direct to the source to purchase one.