PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with the bottom bolt release?

BrushyHillGuide
10-07-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm pretty disappointed with brand new Savage 110 Predator Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm not even done breaking in the barrel! LOL! I mean, this whole bottom bolt release deal seems to be eliminating any (normal) options for swapping out the stock OR the trigger! Ugh! Is this a recent design change that Savage made and one that the stock (and trigger) makers just haven't caught up with yet? OR, is this an issue that's going to prevent a lot of aftermarket upgrades from being available?

This is my first Savage (in a very long time) and while I'm sure it's going to be a great shooter out of the box, I was really looking forward to playing around with it - customizing it some. I don't mind shooting it as-is, while the aftermarket market catches up, but I'm sure going to be disappointed if options aren't going to be forthcoming. I've already sent emails to Rifle Basix, Manners and McMillan but I haven't heard back yet. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Coming from the Remmy 700 and AR platforms, it's quite a shock to the system! LOL!

jpdown
10-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Not many Savage owners are happy with the bottom bolt release. It is simply a PITA. The aftermarket is starting to come around. With a little dremel work, you can make the new style bolt release trigger guard work in a Savage aftermarket CF, BM stock. Savage center feed stocks inletted for the DBM will work with the newer bottom bolt release.

bani
10-12-2014, 02:06 AM
xlr industries makes chassis that support the bottom bolt release.

Digduggy
10-12-2014, 10:29 AM
As does Mcree, choate, manners, etc...

Frank V
11-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I was just on the Boyd gun stock web & I think they do too?

Steelhead
11-18-2014, 11:35 PM
PTG makes AI comparable bottom metal for it also.

limige
11-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Boyd makes them too. I bought one for my creedmoor.

Savage messed up bad doing this bottom bolt release. Its a total fail. Sucks every almost as bad as the plastic mags on the axis and TH

corsair4360
02-14-2015, 01:24 AM
The bolt release on my 110 Predator hunter in 6.5x284 is a total PITA. Be careful if you take the stock off, you have to carefully get on with the bolt release held back, ask me how I know.

Today, the rear tab on the double box magazine (at the rear of the magazine towards the shooter), that is about 1/8" x 3/8" broke off. Now it will not feed from the magazine without manual intervention. Less than a year old and less than 200 rounds down the pipe. I have looked and no Savage magazines.

Has anyone converted a 110 DBM with the PITA bolt release to an older style magazine. If I cannot resolve this mess, it may be sell the gun. I like the gun, but it has some serious issues that make me hate it.

GaCop
02-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Sound like Savage is gone down the tubes since being bought out. Basically the same story with Marlin. I welcome you to the "wonderful world of OLDER Savages".

wbm
02-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I welcome you to the "wonderful world of OLDER Savages".

For sure. Like the saying goes "newer does not always mean better."

Frank V
02-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Sound like Savage is gone down the tubes since being bought out. Basically the same story with Marlin. I welcome you to the "wonderful world of OLDER Savages".

I don't think Savage has gone down the tube. I bought a used mod. 12 in .204 (think long & hard about a used .204, .22-250 etc) it shot beautifully for 3 months then groups opened up & one day I was shooting & bullets were keyholing. Bottom line I checked on bbls & couldn't get one installed for under about $375. A friend said call Savage, I did & 2 mos. later I've got a brand new .223 bbl reblued action & bolt, shipping & everything a bit under $300. :cool:
Oh yes it now shoots 1/2" on days I'm doing my part.:smile-new:
Nooooo I don't think Savage is washed up.

Twinsen
02-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Ohhhh Savage was bought by ATK?! That explains everything. Now I understand the bad magazines and bolt releases that replaced perfectly good equipment. The pile of Federal m855 I bought a few months back reminds me of the new Savage 10 round mag. Because it's about 5% duds and shoots 6 MOA.

jpdown
02-15-2015, 04:50 PM
So you think Savage Arms is done for?

It looks to me they have a pretty good marketing strategy and a bright future. Savage Arms has gone from a "one horse", some called ugly, but cheap rifle platform to a stable full of rifle models segmented by features and price point. They build a reputation for the best out-of-the box accuracy and adjustable factory trigger in the industry. They followed the industry trend of replacing metal and walnut with plastic to reduce production cost and maintain profits. They capitalize on the marketing advantage of a rifle design that does not require a gunsmith to change out barrels or upgrade with aftermarket parts and stocks. They turned the replacement of cheap plastic stocks, trigger guards and DBM bottom parts into a high margin aftermarket revenue stream for Savage Arms. They raise prices on their higher margin rifle models with all metal parts, wood or composite stock and an adjustable factory Accutrigger as demand and their reputation grew. They keep the price point of the higher margin models about the same or less than building a similar rifle using a new take-off donor action. They replaced the Stevens 200 model with the cheaper to produce Axis model. The Axis becomes a home run as a entry level rifle. They discontinue the lower margin Stevens action so it does not compete with sales of there higher margin models with the very same action. And for those complaining about a bottom bolt release as a deal breaker, they offer a top bolt release model (Hog Hunter) and the target action as cost competitive donor actions for DIY builds. And other than their tendency to foul quickly and being a PITA to clean, Savage factory barrels are cheap and amazingly accurate with proper load development.

Is Savage Arms going down the tube? I doubt it unless ATK messes with product quality. The pre-mature launch of the .17 WSM B-Mag and trying to work out the kinks is a good example of what not to do. Savage Arms for the most part is doing something right, since I see other top rifle manufactures like Remington and Ruger trying to copy Savage Arms success with new rifle models that have a floating bolt head, barrel nut and factory adjustable trigger. IMO, the success of Savage Arms over the past 10 years has brought more innovation and choice to the market place, not less.

I still don't like the Savage bottom bolt release, but I'm learning to live with it. I see a Remington 700 action with interchangeable floating bolt heads and barrel nut on my wish list.

Frank V
02-15-2015, 07:32 PM
So you think Savage Arms is done for?

It looks to me they have a pretty good marketing strategy and a bright future. Savage Arms has gone from a "one horse", some called ugly, but cheap rifle platform to a stable full of rifle models segmented by features and price point. They build a reputation for the best out-of-the box accuracy and adjustable factory trigger in the industry. They followed the industry trend of replacing metal and walnut with plastic to reduce production cost and maintain profits. They capitalize on the marketing advantage of a rifle design that does not require a gunsmith to change out barrels or upgrade with aftermarket parts and stocks. They turned the replacement of cheap plastic stocks, trigger guards and DBM bottom parts into a high margin aftermarket revenue stream for Savage Arms. They raise prices on their higher margin rifle models with all metal parts, wood or composite stock and an adjustable factory Accutrigger as demand and their reputation grew. They keep the price point of the higher margin models about the same or less than building a similar rifle using a new take-off donor action. They replaced the Stevens 200 model with the cheaper to produce Axis model. The Axis becomes a home run as a entry level rifle. They discontinue the lower margin Stevens action so it does not compete with sales of there higher margin models with the very same action. And for those complaining about a bottom bolt release as a deal breaker, they offer a top bolt release model (Hog Hunter) and the target action as cost competitive donor actions for DIY builds. And other than their tendency to foul quickly and being a PITA to clean, Savage factory barrels are cheap and amazingly accurate with proper load development.

Is Savage Arms going down the tube? I doubt it unless ATK messes with product quality. The pre-mature launch of the .17 WSM B-Mag and trying to work out the kinks is a good example of what not to do. Savage Arms for the most part is doing something right, since I see other top rifle manufactures like Remington and Ruger trying to copy Savage Arms success with new rifle models that have a floating bolt head, barrel nut and factory adjustable trigger. IMO, the success of Savage Arms over the past 10 years has brought more innovation and choice to the market place, not less.

I still don't like the Savage bottom bolt release, but I'm learning to live with it. I see a Remington 700 action with interchangeable floating bolt heads and barrel nut on my wish list.

:thumb::first::biggrin-new:
I kind of agree!:cool:

243LPR
02-16-2015, 03:50 PM
A fix to a problem that didn't exist,can't we just leave well enough alone?