PDA

View Full Version : Timing and Truing

reynoldsfamily3
10-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I am working on a Stevens 200 LA based build, and I am considering getting the action timed and trued. I have contacted SSS and Nat Lambeth to find out if they are taking new work at this time. I have not heard anything back yet; I am still waiting. I contacted Jim See and he is not providing this service any more. Does anyone know of other smiths that do this work? I am sure there are a lot out there, but I am not having much luck finding them.

Thanks for any ideas

Bill

foxx
10-06-2014, 10:29 PM
SSS is the original Savage T&T. I would only want him to do it. Not sure if anyone else does the same work he does, or even attempts the same thing. They might claim to, but Fred's T&T is proprietary. I'd say keep trying. He does these in batches. I do not know how frequent;ly, but they have to be scheduled. I strongly suggest you continue to try to get on his list/schedule. I expect to be shortly. I am having him do 2 of them.

geargrinder
10-06-2014, 11:29 PM
You can call Kevin at Stockade. Another Savage T&T expert.

Redandwhite_72
10-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Sin arms T&T's savages. Not sure of his price.

J.Baker
10-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Any competent gunsmith with a lathe can true up a Savage action, but very few know how to properly time one (and I'm certain that two of the four mentioned above do not).

Redandwhite_72
10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Any competent gunsmith with a lathe can true up a Savage action, but very few know how to properly time one (and I'm certain that two of the four mentioned above do not).

Agreed.

SSS and Nat would definitely be my first choices if I was going to have it done.

FEENIX
10-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Check out Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles (http://montourcountyrifles.com/).

Action Blueprint:

Savage - $200

Includes:

Single point re-cut action face and internal locking lugs perpendicular to the bolt bore center line
Single point re-cut rear of bolt lugs and bolt face perpendicular to the bolt head stem
Single point re-cut rear of barrel nut concentric with barrel nut threads
Holland recoil lug pinned and fitted

J.Baker
10-07-2014, 10:13 AM
My advice would be to call or email each gunsmith you're considering and ask each one to list exactly what is done and/or is included in their truing and timing process. You'll find out real quick which ones are the pro's and which ones are the 'me to' guys. And if any of them so much as mentions a Wolf firing pin spring, RUN!

Nor Cal Mikie
10-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Fred at SSS does things in the T&T process that NO ONE else does. Keep that in mind when doing your search.

reynoldsfamily3
10-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Got an email from Lisa at SSS and she said they can take it on right away. I think it is heading that way.

geargrinder
10-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Check out Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles (http://montourcountyrifles.com/).

There's a fail in my book.

Cutting on a Savage action should be done perpendicular to the action threads, not the bolt bore center line.

FEENIX
10-10-2014, 12:01 PM
There's a fail in my book.

Cutting on a Savage action should be done perpendicular to the action threads, not the bolt bore center line.

I'm sure Kevin has an explanation; you might want to ping him about it.

devildogandboy
10-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Got an email from Lisa at SSS and she said they can take it on right away. I think it is heading that way.

don't take long to decide as the window of opportunity is limited. I had 2 done and got mine in at the very beginning of the run. very happy with the work and you will feel the difference also.

Bruce