PDA

View Full Version : Feeding single rounds?

Pages : 1 [2]

bigkahuna
10-25-2014, 04:57 PM
The pictures are perfect, answers a ton of questions. How careful do you have to be when dropping a round in the breech? I might try carving one out of wood or delrin, I have scraps of both lying around.

rick3
10-25-2014, 05:39 PM
You don't have to be careful at all; I just push them thru the ejection port any old way (well, as long as the pointy end is facing the muzzle :o), and the bolt pushes the rounds into the chamber without any problems at all. Just go ahead and experiment with the foam first; start with a basic shape that's a little too large, and sand it down by hand a little, then try it, then maybe sand it down a little more...

As far as wood goes, I was going to use the measurements in the first set of pic to create one out of plywood, and I may still do that. But these foam ones are quick and easy to make.

RatMag
10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
You don't have to spend $110 for the extended Axis magazine. If you buy the individual parts from Savage, and send them to Snyder, it is MUCH cheaper. The $110 price tab is to cover what they have to pay to get the parts and keep them in stock to build from. Check it out, you will be glad you did, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be shooting competitions.

DK

rick3
11-27-2014, 04:47 PM
You don't have to spend $110 for the extended Axis magazine. If you buy the individual parts from Savage, and send them to Snyder, it is MUCH cheaper. The $110 price tab is to cover what they have to pay to get the parts and keep them in stock to build from. Check it out, you will be glad you did, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be shooting competitions.

DK

RatMag,

First, thanks for developing that original extended mag for the Axis; I saw your posts & photos on Snipershide, and if i knew anything about welding, i might do the work myself.

But, i'm confused how purchasing the parts from Savage would make it cheaper than the $110 price for the completed mag...the .243 mag direct fom Savage is $40 (and if you can find anyone else that has them, they're evev more expensive), and Synder has the cost of conversion for "your own" supplied parts as $80...totaling $120 for that route. What am i missing?

RatMag
12-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the compliments!! You don't have to worry about being a master welder. I ended up using a spot welder to do all of my magazine conversions. Much quicker, and easier. You just have to practice a bit to get the timing and amperage down for a good, solid, deep welded connection. You can certainly give it a go. HoboFreight has a small spot welder for $129.00, last time I checked.

If Tom is now charging $80 when supplying your own parts, that is news to me. Last I talked with him, it was going to be around $60.00 - $65.00. Times change.

DK