PDA

View Full Version : Filling in a barrel chanel

romad97
10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
What material would be best for filling in a barrel chanel of a synthetic stock? I may be purchasing a stock that is currently inlet for a varmint barrel and I am putting a sporter barrel in it. My original thought is just epoxy but I am not sure if this would really be the best idea.

Redandwhite_72
10-03-2014, 10:42 PM
If it was me, I'd put 1 or 2 layers of gorilla tape on the barrel running the length not round and round. Then bed it as you would the action. The tape should give you plenty of clearance for it to be free floating when your done. Then you could always just paint it if you didn't like the color contrast of the bedding material and the stock.

legi0n
10-04-2014, 01:29 AM
What material would be best for filling in a barrel chanel of a synthetic stock? I may be purchasing a stock that is currently inlet for a varmint barrel and I am putting a sporter barrel in it. My original thought is just epoxy but I am not sure if this would really be the best idea.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop/MatchGrade+Bedding+Products/MatchGrade+Synthetic+Stock+Stabilizer+Kit.html

GaCop
10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I used the two part epoxy putty stick that needs to be kneaded together to make it work, I filled that hollow cavities in the forearm with the quick set variety and have to admit it really stiffened the forearm. Be sure to use some in the hollow area under the recoil lug too as that area will still flex. I used a wood block to make the surface of the putty smooth and level (especially under the recoil lug so it wouldn't touch the bottom of the lug).

jpdown
10-20-2014, 09:23 AM
If it was me, I'd put 1 or 2 layers of gorilla tape on the barrel running the length not round and round. Then bed it as you would the action. The tape should give you plenty of clearance for it to be free floating when your done. Then you could always just paint it if you didn't like the color contrast of the bedding material and the stock.

+1 This approach worked very well for me. I just use the Devcon 2-ton plastic steel epoxy. Paint/Duracoat to match.