PDA

View Full Version : Another successful moose hunt

Cjd3
10-03-2014, 08:16 PM
We are picking up our processed moose tomorrow, but boy did we have a lucky hunt. 7 days of warm, wind, and rain. No movement until day 8, when it stopped raining and being just generally awful. We see our first set of fresh tracks for the trip and spread out. Well, I stayed near where the moose went into the timber, and in about 10 minutes, he thought it was safe. Well that was the last mistake he ever made. From about 75 yards, I took aim and drilled him behind the shoulder, through the lungs, and took the top of his heart out. Thanks to my .30-06 111 and my handloaded Nosler Partitions, he only took 3 steps before going down like a ton of bricks. He was a nice 40" bull that hadn't gone into rut yet. Winter will be yummy.

sixonetonoffun
10-03-2014, 10:24 PM
That would be awesome. The population is so low here (thanks to a thriving wolf population) not even a lotto hunt anymore. Not exactly a DNR success story for our moose.

tufrthnails
10-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Congrats. Love hearing hunting stories. I think the stories are half the fun of hunting.

03mossy
10-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Congrats on the hunt. Share pics if you can.

Sixonetonofun- I could go off on an hour long tyrant about our wolf population. Were not even seeing deer on our land north of Cloquet. Although there was a moose hit Wednesday night in Maple Lake of all places. He probably headed that far south to get away from the wolves.

limige
10-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Awesome what state did you hunt?