PDA

View Full Version : First Build - Sporter or Heavyweight Factory/Used Barrel?

RonboF117
10-02-2014, 08:20 PM
I picked up a 10 FXP in .308 at Wal-Mart for $350 but unlike the others I had looked at there, this one was a blind box that I didn't notice until I got home (lesson learned). I really wanted the detachable mag and when I noticed the stock wasn't true, I contacted Savage about getting a replacement. My replacement stock was unavailable and the CS rep upgraded me to an LE stock with the DBM (very nice of him). I purchased the floor plate, metal trigger guard, and metal DBM. Put everything together and noticed the stock was set up for a heavyweight barrel (huge gap around barrel) and that the L.O.P. was about 14.25" compared to 13-13.25" where I have it set on all my other rifles. The stock and butt pad is not able to be cut down. The original stock LOP was right at 13". The CS rep said they would swap the barrel for me to the tune of $300 after sending the rifle in.

Looking for the best bang for the buck; here are my questions given 99% shooting off bench and 1% hunting:

1. Should I just keep the sporter barrel with DBM and find a Boyd's $100 stock and call it a day?
2. I know there are lots of advantages of going to a heavy weight barrel. Is $300 and unknown turnaround time a good deal? Not sure which Savage stock it would come with but would most likely have to be replaced.
3. Should I get the NSS lug and nut and put it on a used hw fluted barrel from Snipershide that shoots 5/8 MOA and a get a good aftermarket stock?
4. If they give me an option of a stock (accustock won't fit my action) which stock would you recommend? I would expect I'd pay some $ for the upgrade.

Thanks for the help. I looked through numerous pages here trying to find my scenario. If I missed it, please send me the link.

bootsmcguire
10-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Personally, I would swap out the barrel yourself. You can get a Barrel Nut wrench from NSS (and some other places) and if you have a bench vice and some wooden blocks you can swap a barrel. All you'll need then is the new barrel and a headspace gauge and you're set to go. Personally $300 for a new factory barrel is a bit much. You should be able to score a used aftermarket barrel and buy the wrench and gauge for less than that. Personally I would just order a new barrel from Either NSS (get a CBI brand, they shoot great) or call up Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) and have him custom make you one. Jim does great work and good prices too.

As for your stock, I would get a boyds. Bed it &/or pillar it and be money ahead. Paying Savage to upgrade you basic rifle into a higher level one is not cost effective normally. It would be cheaper and faster to have bought the higher level model gun in the first place IMHO.

RonboF117
10-02-2014, 09:39 PM
If I had looked at the actual rifle I was going to buy vs the ones on display and have them "bring me one in a box", I either wouldn't have bought it without DBM or shot it the way it was. It was $487 a hour earlier and when I went back to look at it again it was marked down to $349. That seemed a reasonable price for a budget shooter. Add a $100 Boyd's to hold things tighter and I think it's still a good deal. Can always build off the base receiver into whatever custom rifle I choose. The SH used barrel is $140 for a heavyweight flute that is documented 5/8 MOA. I'd feel better about that barrel at $125 or less if I went that route as it only has 340 rounds through it.

bootsmcguire
10-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Your call on the barrel of course, if you feel comfortable with it by all means go that route. I would just be sure to get the prior owner's load recipe or brand and style of ammunition (if factory ammo) so you know what it likes right from the start.

Boyds is a solid, budget friendly way to get a much better stock.

GaCop
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Your call on the barrel of course, if you feel comfortable with it by all means go that route. I would just be sure to get the prior owner's load recipe or brand and style of ammunition (if factory ammo) so you know what it likes right from the start.

Boyds is a solid, budget friendly way to get a much better stock. +1, solid advice.