PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have done a Remage conversion

scooterf79
10-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Im wanting to convert one of my 700s so it has a nut ;) I am just curious as to how you made the notch in your receiver for the recoil lug. Did you do it yourself or have your smith do it?
If you did it yourself, could you please let me know how you did it, as far as how you held the lug in place, tools you used etc.
Thanks guys
Scooter

scope eye
10-02-2014, 05:01 AM
Hey Scooter, I have 5 Remage conversion, and have done a lot of them, all I did is scribe a straight line and dremel it out, easy peasy.

Dean

scooterf79
10-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks Dean,
Making sure Ive got this, so you just mark a line on the receiver? Do you lay the new lug against the receiver for a guide? I haven't had the 700 out of the stock for years so I cant remember off the top of my head if theres any marks to go by or anything. Do you use a grinder-type tip for your dremel or another tip. Ive got a bunch of tips, just wanna make sure I use the right one.
Thanks
Scooter
Tryin to start getting things ready for that 6mmx55 you and hot olds have got me turned onto ;)

scope eye
10-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I am sure there are many ways of doing this, use what ever cutting tool you feel comfortable with, and just take a little at a time off, it's not like you are going to slip and take a big chunk out, just make a single line down the middle, and use the lug as a guide. I will PM you my number if you have any questions, it truly is an easy fix.

Dean

geargrinder
10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I took the pin out of the lug. Let it sandwich just like the old 700 lug.

scooterf79
10-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys for the input,
Dean, gotcha on the tools and the number, I really appreciate the help.

Geargrinder, did you just use one of the jigs to hold the lug in place, when u tightened it down?
Kinda figured the pin would keep it from moving when tightening it all down
Scooter

geargrinder
10-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Eyeball and cinch it down. They end up straighter than any factory Remington I've taken off.

The lug installer at Remington must have one leg longer than the other or something.

Kidding aside. Its pretty easy to keep them straight when torquing down the nut. Even without a fancy jig.

scooterf79
10-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Lol...gotcha, I thought ya had to try to and make them as straight as possible.
Scooter

northlander
10-04-2014, 03:42 AM
I do it the easy way, have a friend with a mill just put it where it goes and were done. It only takes a few minutes on a mill. Most machine shops will do it for you as a quick job. I have been told that some gunsmiths will argue about it and even refuse to do them, claiming that you can't do a Remington that way. I think that is why the machine shop option is easier.

Jim Briggs
NSS