PDA

View Full Version : Shims on Bolt question

CAPTBEACH
10-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Took my bolt apart a while back to get rid of the Magnum Bolt Face and replace it with a 308 BF...I've got 2 shims left on the bench...am I correct that they go between the baffle adn the bolt head? Also is there a source for these?

BillPa
10-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Shims? If its that wavy thing its the baffle washer. I don't recall one having two however. From the factory they're between the bolt body and baffle but I move them between the baffle and lugs so the baffle doesn't wipe the grease off the lugs.

If you put it between the baffle and lugs you kinda have to watch. There is a fillet(radius) at the junction of the bolthead shaft and lugs so you may have to SLIGHTLY open the bore or it won't seat flush against the lugs. Put the washer in place between the baffle and lugs then squeeze the two together. If you see a gap between the washer and lugs you'll have to open it a smidgeon.

Bill

GaCop
10-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Shims? If its that wavy thing its the baffle washer. I don't recall one having two however. From the factory they're between the bolt body and baffle but I move them between the baffle and lugs so the baffle doesn't wipe the grease off the lugs.

If you put it between the baffle and lugs you kinda have to watch. There is a fillet(radius) at the junction of the bolthead shaft and lugs so you may have to SLIGHTLY open the bore or it won't seat flush against the lugs. Put the washer in place between the baffle and lugs then squeeze the two together. If you see a gap between the washer and lugs you'll have to open it a smidgeon.

BillGood to know!