PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Help: fv or fv-sr

Blender345
10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Been looking into a mark ii. Been debating between the fv and fv-sr. I would not be using a suppressor (atleast no time soon). I prefer the longer barrel of the fv (assuming it'd be more accurate and provide more fps). I like the larger bolt knob on the fv-sr though, and the versatility of a threaded barrel.

If I could get the fv-sr with the barrel length of the fv I would but I'm sure that exceeds my budget. Any guidance? I was thinking about buying an fv and trying to get an fv-sr bolt knob and forgetting the threading.

Thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

bootsmcguire
10-02-2014, 12:46 AM
The longer barrel will not necessarily get you any accuracy. Normally it is believed that short barrels can be more accurate because they are more rigid. Since you are looking at a 22LR I am inclined to be of the opinion that the extra 5" of barrel will not be worth a whole lot in velocity, so if you like the knob and threaded barrel of the FV-SR I'd say go for it and enjoy.

You could look at the Mark II TR. It has a slightly longer barrel than the FV and has the knob you like and a fluted heavy barrel. Looks to be a few extra bucks though.

Blender345
10-02-2014, 08:05 PM
How much more do you think an sr version is worth? Idk if the bolt is worth 30+ more I'm still debating

bootsmcguire
10-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Not sure honestly as I have not seen too many around my area to give an accurate guess. I will say that if you ever want to resell it later, the threads and handle will most likely speed up the sale and probably bring a better price on the used market in the future.

fartsinpublic
10-02-2014, 10:11 PM
I have both an FV and a TRR-SR, both used offhand only (unless I'm verifying elevation/distance settings).

If you won't be mounting a suppressor, the FV (or a straight TR) is likely all you'll need, the other stuff just pleases your eye, really. I don't notice any degradation in accuracy with the FV's shorter barrel (and due to its better crown and a stock optimized for offhand and prone shooting, is likely more precise than the TRR-SR which is in a Pepper Tacticool stock and sure the bolt handle isn't big and chunky, but I'm not chambering 300winmag either.)

Blender345
10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Ordered an fv-sr. Figured I can always trade the barrel off or something?

bootsmcguire
10-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Barrels on the Mark II, the 93's, 40, and the 25's do not interchange like the 110 and Axis type rifles.

rasmith3530
10-07-2014, 02:59 AM
I just picked up an FVXP, and I'm really happy with it. This model comes with the Bushnell scope, fluted heavy barrel, AccuTrigger, and composite stock. I'm pretty sure that suppressors are forbidden in Illinois, so the threaded barrel end of the FV-SR is just something else that can go wrong, and the difference in barrel length isn't that big a deal for me. I'd rather have the scope than the rails.

Bottom line though is that you just cannot go too far wrong with any of the Mark 2 rifles, and they are inexpensive enough that you may just be able to own a few. Have fun!