PDA

View Full Version : model 10FCP McMillan vs. Model 10 FCP-K

mikez
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
First post on here, GREAT site. So i'm looking into shooting some long range targets. I've narrowed my search down to these 2 rifles, 10FCP McMillan, and 10FCP-K. Which one has the better barrel?? I want .308, already getting a SIII sightron in 6-24x50. Going to be keeping it less than 1000yrds. Probably will be used for hunting hogs long range as well. I like the McMillan stock better but the barrel on the FCP-K has flutes and a brake, but am not sure if its a better barrel or not? Thanks
mike

CL1KKL4C
04-13-2010, 02:13 AM
I guess its really your preference in this case. Savages factory barrels are no slouch, with or without flutes they are damn fine barrels. But my personal opinion is the McMillan stock is leaps and bounds better then the accustock. Also when offered in the factory configuration its great deal as well. In all honesty you probably wouldn't notice much difference in accuracy from one to the next. Snag the one that appeals to you most.

bodywerks
04-13-2010, 02:47 AM
The McMillan stock is surely nice, but for the price, you get A LOT more from the FCP-K. I own one, and the muzzle brake makes it feel like a hot .223. It is a near 1/2MOA shooter right out of the box, too. The barrel on the McMillan is no more or less accurate, and I don't think the stock is going to tighten your groups up any more over the accustock. The McMillan simply is not $450 more gun. Just my $.02

Boba Debt
04-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Buy the FCP-K and get the Choate Custom Tactical Stock for $450.

You will get a fully adjustable A-5 style stock for the same price as the non-adjustable McMillan and it will take the 9 round mags

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateFront.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateRight.jpg

rjtfroggy
04-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Barrels are the same one just has more tooling done to it. Myself I don't like brakes but for the price difference I might be tempted, or I would go with a plain 10fcp and then get a laminate stock and be done with it.

MSG Janoski
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Mike,
This is one of my post replies from March of this year;

"Last November I was afforded the opportunity to shoot several of the new Savages. 10's with McMillan, HPS and AccuStock and also the BAS and BAT models. These were all new, right out of the boxes. Up to that time all my experience had been with issued Remington's and Parker Hale's. What a shock I had! The Savages were outstanding, at 100, 300 and 600 meters the AccuStock models were all shooting around 1/2 moa and that was with 18 individuals firing. The 10 FCP-K easily out performed the McMillan and HPS. If someone really wanted to change from an AccuStock model AI is just releasing their new stock for the new Savages and Fred Choate is about to release his Tactical stock for them. I received a 10 FLCP-K and couldn't be more happy with it."

McMillan makes a good stock, always has, but it didn't show the accuracy that the 3D AccuStock had. In the end it's your decision and what you want.

Boba Debt
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Never mind.

mikez
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
thanks for the replys that was exactly what i was looking for.

ps, sweet rig Boba, how long did it take from the order to delivery of that stock?

Uncle Jack
04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I have three of these little puppys.....a .223, a .308, and a 110 300 Win Mag.

They are, without reservation, the most accurate "outta da box" rifles I have ever shot. You can go out and spend $400-$500 for a cooler lookin stock, but I don't think you're going to get any appreciable improvement in accuracy over the factory Accustock.

uj

DreamMaker
04-13-2010, 10:25 PM
McMillan makes a good stock, always has, but it didn't show the accuracy that the 3D AccuStock had. In the end it's your decision and what you want.

+1... I shoot a 10FLCP-K and I'm amazed with it's accuracy. Make or buy a cheek rest if you go this route.

Boba Debt
04-14-2010, 02:20 AM
thanks for the replys that was exactly what i was looking for.

ps, sweet rig Boba, how long did it take from the order to delivery of that stock?

It took exactly one month.

firemachine69
04-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I guess its really your preference in this case. Savages factory barrels are no slouch, with or without flutes they are damn fine barrels. But my personal opinion is the McMillan stock is leaps and bounds better then the accustock. Also when offered in the factory configuration its great deal as well. In all honesty you probably wouldn't notice much difference in accuracy from one to the next. Snag the one that appeals to you most.

There you have it. I had to purchase my McM stock separately (as I have a lefty rifle), and going that route adds a three-hundred dollar premium to your rifle (over getting it stock from Savage). Bonus, however, is the factory McM options like pillars, cheek-rest, etc. can be added to your stock during the build.

Ridge Runner
04-24-2010, 02:18 AM
I have three of these little puppys.....a .223, a .308, and a 110 300 Win Mag.

They are, without reservation, the most accurate "outta da box" rifles I have ever shot. You can go out and spend $400-$500 for a cooler lookin stock, but I don't think you're going to get any appreciable improvement in accuracy over the factory Accustock.

uj

Which model are you talking about? Sorry..