PDA

View Full Version : Hand Rub Oil Finish for Stock?

mattri
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Have ordered a stock or an upcoming build, it is maple with a lot of fiddleback. I'm looking at various ways to finish it and would like some more information on a hand rub oil finish. I've done some basic searches but haven't found much. Looking for a tutorial, instructions, pros and cons etc. thanks. Matt.

mudpig
10-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVdsln29o8

olddav
10-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I used a very simular method to finish a couple of stocks myself, both turned out real nice.

I used tung oil and mineral spirits 50/50 mix. *It takes approx 24 Hours to dry between coats and if you don't mind it taking a several days then it will produce a quality piece of wood. Also this method will produce a simi gloss finish, just add a few coats of Tru-Oil to achieve a gloss finish.
It's just my way of thinking but using a slow setting oil will ensure that the oil penetrates the wood as deep as possible, providing a deep finish that should last for many years.

jpdown
10-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I've use the sand-in method outlined in the video above. Except I use Tru-oil Gunstock Finish instead of boiled linseed oil. No way I could wait 10+ days for each coat of linseed oil to completely dry. The end result is the same and the coats of Tru-Oil will dry overnight.

big honkin jeep
10-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Tru oil is a very good finish. It's available at many sporting goods and big box stores.