PDA

View Full Version : 1000 yard gun

Pages : [1] 2

dpollard
09-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Hello, first post here. Looking to build a 1000 yard bolt gun on a savage action. I've decided on a Criterion Barrel but am having some trouble deciding on an action. I am having a hard time knowing the difference between the Savage actions. Can anyone give me a quick run down? I'd like to by a "donor" rifle at a pawn shop but need to know what I'm looking for. I'm a left handed shooter so would prefer a lefty action but would also not be concerned with buying a right handed one since they are more readily available. Is a detachable box magazine vs single shot vs internal box better for accuracy? Are the differing magazine systems caliber specific?

foxx
09-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Welcome. You're asking good and appropriate questions, but it's a bit more involved than maybe you think. There are a number of differences, but not in quality or anything you might recognize right away. All the same basic function as far as everything but the magazines go. They all work well. Depending upon the year the short actions can be different lengths. Untill you go to buy a stock, it's not all that important which action you get, performance or accuracy-wise. The key is to know there are differences, and therefore you need to know what you have before you order a stock. Honestly, my best first advice is to get a paid membership here. It's only $15 per year and allows you access to great technical articles that answer most of your questions and gets you access to member classifieds where you may find exactly what you are looking for cheap.

Also, I think you're going about it right. If you have any mechanical ability at all and/or experience with guns, get a used action for around $250 or a used donor rifle for around $300 and have at it. But DO get a membership here so you can read the articles and ask for help. Lotta good guys here with a ton of knowledge who are eager to share and encourage ya.

dpollard
10-01-2014, 08:30 PM
foxx - thanks for the input. I'll check out the paid membership on here.

dpollard
10-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Follow up question - can a short action round be used in a long action? Found a left handed gun chambered in 7mm, which I believe in long action but I want to build a 6.5CM, .260 or .308....

barrel-nut
10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Sure you can. The internals of the magazine will need to be changed though, as well as the bolt head and obviously the barrel. Not quite as many options for stocks either, I think. Still a good choice though, because if you're a handloader you can seat the longest heaviest bullets out as long as needed and still have plenty of room to magazine feed.
ETA: the 7mm Mag is a good 1000 yd round, BTW. More horsepower for longer range hunting than the short action rounds. I'm not a fan of extreme long range hunting, but that's another thread. You never did state your intended purpose? Punching paper or hunting? Steel?

dpollard
10-01-2014, 09:33 PM
barrel-nut - thanks for your response. The purpose for the gun will be ringing steel out to 1000 yds and maybe a little beyond. I am a hand loader as well. I would rather not have to change bolt-head or the mag internals but would be curious to know what all is entailed in changing these parts? Price for doing so, availability of parts?

michaelnel
10-01-2014, 09:58 PM
There are articles posted here on how to change the bolt head and other things, but you need to be a paid member to access them. Well worth the small fee.

barrel-nut
10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
There are articles posted here on how to change the bolt head and other things, but you need to be a paid member to access them. Well worth the small fee.

^this. It's really not hard or terribly expensive. But different models require different parts. Become a member and read up. Lots of good useful info, plus access to the classifieds, well worth the money.
I'd also say that if you're set on building a rifle chambered for a short action round, with a .473 bolt head as you listed, why not start out with a short action, .473 bolt and not have to replace magazine parts or bolt heads? You'd also have a few more options for the inevitable stock swaps. Although I will say that the options for aftermarket lefty sticks are slim, short or long action. Something to consider. You might want to find a factory offering with a quality stock, like the HS. Not sure if they still or have ever offered it as a lefty though.
I only own short actions, and have never had any trouble with feeding with longer rounds, although they are close to max length for the mag.

dpollard
10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
barrel-nut - I would prefer to start with a short action but I'm finding mostly long-actions in my search. Some of my local long-range shooters have suggested to start with a long action for 2 reasons 1) loading the longer high BC bullets (but sounds like this may not be needed based on your experience 2) I can later upgrade to a more legitimate mile shooting cartridge, which is my end goal. I will more than likely buy a right handed action for the reasons you have suggested. I have become used to shooting them anyway but if I somehow com across a lefty action it would be cool.

barrel-nut
10-01-2014, 11:54 PM
You might want to check with Jim at Northland Shooters. He's usually got a few short actions on hand, at fair prices. Maybe even a lefty. Plus he'll spend all the time necessary to answer all your questions. Great guy to deal with.

dpollard
10-01-2014, 11:56 PM
You might want to check with Jim at Northland Shooters. He's usually got a few short actions on hand, at fair prices. Maybe even a lefty. Plus he'll spend all the time necessary to answer all your questions. Great guy to deal with.

Thanks. I've been to his website a few times. I'll give him a call. I am now a paid member. Where do I find the articles regarding differing actions etc...

barrel-nut
10-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Also check your local Walmart, if you have one. Mine has a top-bolt release center feed long action in .30-06, for under $400. Was on sale for $325 a while back. I shoulda bought it. Be aware, there are more aftermarket stocks for top-bolt-release models than the newer ones with the bolt release on the trigger guard.

dpollard
10-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Also check your local Walmart, if you have one. Mine has a top-bolt release center feed long action in .30-06, for under $400. Was on sale for $325 a while back. I shoulda bought it. Be aware, there are more aftermarket stocks for top-bolt-release models than the newer ones with the bolt release on the trigger guard.

Thanks! This is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. I really do appreciate it. I would have never known. This will also help when I am looking at used, donor guns.

barrel-nut
10-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks. I've been to his website a few times. I'll give him a call. I am now a paid member. Where do I find the articles regarding differing actions etc...

I have only accessed the site through the Tapatalk app on my phone for the past few years, and it doesn't include all the available information for some weird reason. I haven't looked at the site on my computer in so long that I can't remember exactly where to tell you to look (embarrassing!). But I know it's there cause I've researched things on it several times. I'm sure one of the other members can steer you in the right direction. I want to say that you have to back out of the "forums" section and go to the home site?

barrel-nut
10-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Did you find it yet? Go to Savageshooters.com home page. Click on "Savage FAQ's" and also "Articles-Gunsmithing".

dpollard
10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Did you find it yet? Go to Savageshooters.com home page. Click on "Savage FAQ's" and also "Articles-Gunsmithing".

I found the articles section.

bythebook
10-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I was at a local gun shop last Thursday and he had a used 110 30-06 for $195.00 . It was a little rough if I wasn't looking for a short action I would have offered him $100.00 for it.

dpollard
10-02-2014, 07:45 PM
I was at a local gun shop last Thursday and he had a used 110 30-06 for $195.00 . It was a little rough if I wasn't looking for a short action I would have offered him $100.00 for it.

Your timing on this post is impeccable, I was going to start a new post about values. I ran around all over town today to pawn shops, guns shops and the like looking for used Savages. They all want so much money for old beat up rifles, I'm talking $400+. Was the action itself beat up or just the gun overall? I'd love to find a deal like that in a short action. I have a guy willing to sell me a used model 12 ACTION (not rifle), short action, pre-acutrigger for $400 shipped + FFL transfer fee. This seems high to me. Would you agree?

barrel-nut
10-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Yes, that's high. You could buy new for that price. Did you check with Jim?

dpollard
10-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes, that's high. You could buy new for that price. Did you check with Jim?
Talked to Jim this afternoon. Great guy! Looking at the varmint action w/criterion 28" bull barrel. For what ppl want for used actions I can buy a brand new one from him for slightly more. 2014 production, top bolt release. Only thing I need to settle on is a stock now.