PDA

View Full Version : Found a Savage PC in .308 with a fluted barrel for $699- Opinions? unique?

Ridge Runner
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Local Dicks Sporting goods is selling a new Savage PC in .308 with a fluted barrel. They have it listed as a 10FCPXP, but I believe they have it marked wrong. It has a 20" barrel, accutrigger, and accustock.

Anyone own one of these?

Are you happy with it?

Are they as accurate as they should be?

Why kind of base, rings and Scope do you have on yours?

Are they a special run for Dicks? I can not seem to find them on Savage's web site.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Tch2fly
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I looked at these and was told it was an accustock but IT IS NOT, it is a standard tupperware but my store did include a cheap Tasco scope at the $699 price.
It is a special model made for Dick's and yes the model as listed on the box is 10 FCPXP (you are correct it is not on the Savage site)

Dick's usually has good prices but in this case you can't shop that model and compare $$ .... it isn't a bad stick but I think there are better deals to be found.

Ridge Runner
04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I looked at these and was told it was an accustock but IT IS NOT, it is a standard tupperware but my store did include a cheap Tasco scope at the $699 price.
It is a special model made for Dick's and yes the model as listed on the box is 10 FCPXP (you are correct it is not on the Savage site)

Dick's usually has good prices but in this case you can't shop that model and compare $$ .... it isn't a bad stick but I think there are better deals to be found.

Wow. It has the accustock sticker applied to the stock. How can I be sure without taking it apart? What should the accustock look like from the outside? Screw placement?

Cover Dog
04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
It will have the smooth barrel nut and the lever to remove the bolt is in front of the trigger guard.

Tch2fly
04-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Wow. It has the accustock sticker applied to the stock. How can I be sure without taking it apart? What should the accustock look like from the outside? Screw placement?

It has the sticker?? Well, that is interesting because I was told over the phone it was an accustock model but when I got there it wasn't ... I'd be shocked they would have two versions with the same model # but mine did have a scope so ??? ???.
Honestly I would have made the purchase if it had the accustock, (I really want to see if I can build a good long range shooter with one) instead I got an FCP-K (local gunshop has them for $711)

FYI The smooth nut and button bolt release are NOT unique to the accustock, so don't use those as the only clues. Look for a third "action" screw ahead of the mag release. Along with the screw at the back of the trigger guard, there is one at the front of the trgger guard hidden under the bolt release button, one by the mag release lever and one in the stock (it is for the wedge nut).

CL1KKL4C
04-13-2010, 02:05 AM
I ran into a similar rifle last year, also at dicks. It was listed as a 10fcpx (something along those lines) with a 22" fluted barrel and a brake. While it wasn't an accustock, it did have the new factory savage stock with the smooth beavertale forend (commonly thought to be and accustock) However since I've had some poor experiences personally with Dicks Sporting Goods firearm counter I tend to steer away to a local ffl instead. Although if they have what you want for a resonable price go for it... Just hope the clerks or a manager on duty knows how to complete a firearm sale :-\

Ridge Runner
04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
So I went back again to examine it and it does in fact have the accutrigger and the accustock.

There is a screw directly under the magazine relase and it has the accustock sticker on the bottom of the stock.

For $699, minus $30 for refund points, it seems like a really good deal. I think I am going to get it.

It just seems so "handy."

Leupold scope recomendations for it?????

Tch2fly
04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Good for you but very interesting... still hard to believe they would have different stocks with the same model#
I'll share a bit more about my issue with Dick's, originally it was displayed in a case at the store and I wandered by at closing time and nobody was around to show it to me. I called the next day to check on the accustock stock and was told it was ... told them to hold it and gave my CC. I got there and asked AGAIN about the stock because it had no sticker and I wan't sure how to tell, they swore it was. I actually pulled the action to look and discovered it wasn't.
Because I wasn't sure when I went in and others might be intersted here is a picture of my Accustock FCP-K, it shows what to look for
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Shooting%20and%20Guns/fcp-k.jpg

Ridge Runner
04-17-2010, 11:08 AM
After looking at your photograph, I do not know if it has the screw in front of the mag release. I will have to check again when I stop by. I do not seem to remember it.

This is very frustrating.

Ridge Runner
04-17-2010, 06:11 PM
FINALLY! I went back to Dicks Sporting Goods. The stock did not have the screw in front of the mag release. It is not an Accustock despite having the sticker. I mentioned it to the staff behind the counter just as a "heads up" but they did not seem to believe me.

I went over to Cabelas and they have the .308pc with the accutrigger and accustock for $699. It does not have the fluted barrel and only comes in the ugly ACU digitial stock.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread and helping me out.

LG
04-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I've seen these rifles at several Dicks stores in my area. Some have the accustock sticker, some don't. With or without sticker, all the ones I have seen do not have the accustock.

I liked the way the rifle balances with the 22" barrel. I'm tempted to get one but I find the $699 price tag a little high for a rifle with regular plastic stock. If it goes on sale I might get one.