PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Twist Identification?

dandeployed
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I've got a couple barrels I'm trying to get rid of, but I keep getting questions about barrel twist and I'm not sure how to tell. I've looked at the barrel markings and I can't see anything that obviously indicates twist rate. The barrels I have are:

1. 25-06 off of a Stevens 200 that I bought about 18 months ago
2. 7mm-08 again off of a Stevens, exact date of manufacture is unknown, but it is at least 2 years old.

Does anyone know the barrel twist for these or can someone point me in the right direction about how to figure this out?
Thanks,
Dan

geargrinder
04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Use a cleaning rod and snug fitting brush. Push the rod/brush all the way to the end of the muzzle with the brush still in the barrel. Put a piece of tape on the rod right at the edge of the chamber. Pull the rod until the tape makes one full rotation. Measure the distance from the chamber to the tape.

Uncle Jack
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I just did some checking on the Savage site. The only twist rates listed for those calibers in either Stevens or Savage rifles are:

25-06...........1 in 10"
7mm-08........1 in 11.5"

If Savage deviated from this previously, I haven't got a clue.

uj

dandeployed
04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
UJ,

I think you are correct about the 25-06 being 1:10. But I think Savage DID recently change the 7mm-08 barrels. I can't find it right now. But I think the one I have is the previous version, which I think is like 1:9 or 1:10. I just got home from a little league game, but I'll try to do the rod and brush method tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
Dan