PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Scope Rings - Steel VS Aluminum

allenlhouston
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm in the precess of ordering tactical rings for my sightron 10-50X60.
I'm using a Farrell base.
What is the consensous on Steel VS aluminum?
Is steel always better if weight is not an object?
I noticed that Farrell and others make both.

dcloco
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Depends....there are some light aluminum rings that won't stand repeated recoil. But, I know that the 6 screw Burris rings withstand the recoil of a 338 RUM shooting 300 gr SMK's ....for over 1000 rounds, with no issues.

jrmy_1
04-17-2010, 11:12 AM
If you've got an aluminum base, use aluminum rings.

If you've got a steel base, you can use either, although a good rule is to use the same ring material as your base....

Dinosdeuce
04-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I guess I am back a$$wards. My .260 has the following, Badger rings (steel) on a Seekins 20MOA base (aluminum). My .308 has the folllowing, Seekins rings (aluminum) on a Farrell 20MOA base (steel). Please don't tell my guns ;D

Point is it really doesn't matter as long as everything is torqued to spec and it is good quality.

Goodluck

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I prefer Burris Xtreme aluminum or Signatures on a steel picatinny base.

The Burris Xtreme is my first choice unless I need the adjustment of the Signatures.

mopar440
04-19-2010, 03:24 AM
If you've got an aluminum base, use aluminum rings.

If you've got a steel base, you can use either, although a good rule is to use the same ring material as your base....

i understand what u are saying but it still mounted with steel screws on a steel action with most aluim bases use 6000 seris or 7000 seris alum which is hard as **** for aluim and a good coating to keep oxsidation out i dont think there is any worry about aluim failing under recoil the 2 materials are completely different there is no doubt they respond different to temp also but on a all out bench rifle i would use steel but for most of us it all fine but that my 2 cents

im glap you dont have to be able to spell to shoot or could hit the broad side of barn