PDA

View Full Version : Savage 212: Savage 212 help on scope and mounts

hprieger
09-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi there,
I will get the Savage 212 (deer hunting) and I am unsure what scope and what scope mount to use as I have read in various forums that if the tube of the scope is shorter than 6 inches one has to use another mount and also I am unsure of the hight of the mount.

I want to get the Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 3-9x40mm scope but I do not want to use the pre-mounted Weaver bases but preferably the DNZ one-piece scope mount: http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-savage-2/

My questions:
1. What scope mount is the most reliable for the Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm scope?
2. Should I use rings or a one-piece mount? (Don't like the Picatinny)
3. What hight should the mounts be for this scope (low, medium?)
4. What scopes from Leupold and whats mounts do you use and can recommend?

Thanks!

J.Baker
09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
DNZ makes great high quality products, but I'm convinced that the best base for a 212 or 220 is a full rail-type base like EGQ offers. A full rail would eliminate the main tube length issue as it gives you much more freedom in terms of ring placement, and for the same reason it would help ensure you can position the scope for proper eye-relief. Add a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and you've got a bulletproof combo.

www.egwguns.com

hprieger
09-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi, thnks for the fast reply, I have just been reading about the rail-type bases from EWG and I understand the benefit of using smaller tube scopes. Hey, another question: is a 3x9 scope to much, I will not bee shooting at 150-200 yards, more in the below 100 yard range. What sole can you recommend? Do you use the 212?

J.Baker
09-29-2014, 04:43 PM
For under 100 yards I'd recommend a 1.25-4 or 1.5-6x scope. Either would still be sufficient for the occasional longer shot on a deer if needed, and the minimal low-end magnification is desirable for quick, close-range shots. Lots of good options out there (I like my Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm), just depends on your budget. A 3-9x is always nice for the high end, but I've ran into instances on more than one occasion where I wish I have less magnification on the bottom end for those deer that sneak up on and surprise you when you least expect it. A good 2-7x is a good compromise as well and a very popular choice for slug guns and muzzleloaders.

I've reviewed both the 212 and 220 slug guns for this site in the past, and I crew up slug hunting (only option here in Ohio).