PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and any help will do

64cuda
09-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone, nice to join in this forum, but also the Savage shooting community. So I scored on a sweet deal, picked up a Savage model 10 FCP HS Percision in 308. Then a few weeks later got a Leupold Mark IV fixed 16 power with M1 1/4 MOA clicks turrets. A Versa Pod up front. I plan to pick up a Nightforce 20MOA base, and I have a set of ARMS rings but they're quick detach so i'll probably be looking for new ones. I also plan to shoot a Sierra match King 175 grain bullet. I know when my friend had the gun he could hold groups within a quarter at 100 yards. I live in Tooele, UT the altitude is 1537m/ 5043ft.

So I do not know or understand long range shooting at all. I got such a good deal on this and believe it to be a quality set up I want to learn ! So anyone here running a similar set up? Any information you can give me would help. Bullet drop tables, gear to use, things to change. A ballistics calculator I could download or should buy. how far could I expect to shoot? I'm not in a huge hurry to get started I'd rather just get all my equipment set up first and have a general understanding of how to use it .

My Internet connection at work wont allow me to check this forum so if you'd like you can email me at esinger84.es@gmail.com or text/call (435)849-1964 (tel:(435)849-1964)

thanks for any help!

DzNutz
09-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Start by watching the long range shooting video series from TiborasaurusRex and others like him:

TiborasaurusRex Siper 101 - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqymwlCbVwpMnSLrd-NAQJQ
The Road to Precision, Educational Series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD31A83F7643E23C

justdave
09-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Read anything written by Bryan Litz

64cuda
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM
thanks, will do. I have the Magpul video The Art of the Precision Rifle. Took me about 3 times of watching/ stopping and looking up terms to get a half ass idea of what they are talking about. and then just other parts were things I don't need to worry about ( different reticles and other stuff )
Side question for you guys? my Leupold Mark 4 with the M1 1/4 click turrets should be a great optic to run correct ? I have a few people telling me I need a Mill/Mill turrets

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I have a few people telling me I need a Mill/Mill turrets

^^^^for this, read this ---> http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/20/mil-vs-moa-an-objective-comparison/

DzNutz
09-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Personal preference. I have MOA reticle /MOA turrets with the Vortex Viper and love it that way now. Had to relearn ranging with MOA hashes from my Mildot reticle on the BSA, but just a different algorithm for me.

64cuda
10-06-2014, 11:32 PM
After doing some more reading, thanks again for the articles. I see it's not the preferred style but seems that any way you go you will need to learn something new. Mine will just require more math. Planned overcome with a good ballistics calculator if anybody can recommend one either download or the bye, and good note taking but seems that would be the best for any system.