PDA

View Full Version : 8 year old boy wants a "real" hunting rifle

Pages : [1] 2

tufrthnails
09-28-2014, 08:18 AM
So my son wants a "real" hunting rifle as he calls it. He shoots my .22lr at the range a lot with me and he has a .410 single shot that he does well with when we got squirrel hunting. Now he is a pretty skinny but not a bean pole. Not sure exactly how tall but weighs around 65lbs. I was thinking a .223 rem youth model I already load .223 rem for the AR so I don't have to buy anything to load that round. But what calibers are your kids hunting with. Eventually I am going to let him go with me to Kentucky in a few years for my annual trip, but for now he will be hunting the lease in North Florida with me so the deer are small and the hogs are big! Whatever I get him won't be new so if you got something your young'n has outgrown feel free to send me a message with what it is and a price, but I will do another thread in the want to buy section when I get the caliber nailed down.

JASmith
09-28-2014, 08:59 AM
As you probably already know, the .223 is surprisingly effective on game in the 120 - 150 lb class, particularly with the heavier all-copper expanding bullets.

If, on the other hand, you want him to have a rifle he can us on game up through elk and still be using when he is 80, consider the 6.5 Grendel in a TC Encore ProHunter. Mine has an 18" barrel and, in a sporter barrel, should work for him. The rifle is really short, much like a AR carbine with 14" barrel because the break-action single shot doesn't need the several inches usually taken by a repeating action.

I got it from Bullberry Barrel Works (www.bullberry.com (http://www.bullberry.com)). They guarantee minute of angle 5-shot groups with factory ammunition. Mine is at least that accurate because I got 0.95 moa with a 10-shot group using handloads lifted directly for the manual.

The Encore is modular enough that you could start him with a short-pull stock and get longer one as he grows. Alternatively, there might be an adjustable stock that would not only grow with him but can be shortened whenever he needs to hunt while wearing winter clothing in the north.

The same could be done with the Savage. The resulting rifle will be longer and a bit heavier but still very functional.

There is an excellent reference for hunting load data and bullet selections for the Grendel in the 6.5 Grendel reloading Handbook.

LongRange
09-28-2014, 09:44 AM
A 243 is a fantastic riffle to start with if you dont mind buying the dies.

RevM
09-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Here the link to the thread on the rifle I just built for my boy in 6.8 SPC (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?38517-6-8-SPC-Axis).

The 6.8 is the Hammer of Thor on hogs and the round is ideal on whitetail out to 300 yds or so.

tufrthnails
09-28-2014, 10:08 AM
JA sticker shock alone got me on the TC. I got around $700 in my 111 .270 win I hunt with. He will be getting something in the Axis price range. Long Range I have no prob buying dies and I did think about the .243 being able to grow with him a little, but I really don't want to bump the recoil up to quick on him and shy him away from shooting. He hated the .410 the first year (he was 5) i let him try it. I need to go find that recoil chart I saw and see where a .410 is in the overall kick factor.

tufrthnails
09-28-2014, 10:22 AM
In case anyone else is curious.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

looks like .243 and .410 are similar depending on load.

tufrthnails
09-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Nice rifle Rev. I have heard that they are expanding our use of suppressors hear in FL to include deer. I never bothered before because of the hoops to jump through and not being able to hunt large game.

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2014, 01:12 PM
When we take the grandkids (ages 7-10) shooting, after the .22LR gets boring for them we move to the .243 and the .308 w/ muzzle brake. They seem to do better with the .308 - probably because of the brake. They get a kick out of the blast coming back from the brake ports.

The older kids (10-16) go right to the .30 cal stuff and AK rifles. After they shoot the AK47 or 74 I have to pry it from their hands.

I'm thinking as they get better and get a little older we'll move them to things like grenade launcher, flame thrower, 105mm Howitzer...

tufrthnails
09-28-2014, 02:58 PM
105mm Howitzer...

Can't go wrong let me know when you need FDC I miss the smell of WP in the morning.

Alleycat72
09-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Not a savage, but I have been eyeing this one.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-m85-7.62x39-bolt-action-mini-mauser-rifle,-cai-yugo-import.-new.-p-6939.html

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
If you're going to reload for it, just get him a youth or woman's 243 and load it down to save some recoil. Then when he needs to up grade to a full size stock, it can just be changed out for a factory take off or something a little nicer.

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Can't go wrong let me know when you need FDC I miss the smell of WP in the morning.

Hey - check your PM's.
I might be able to help you out with your caliber / rifle decision and make a little extra room here in the armory. I've been consolidating calibers and might have what you need...

And no...
It's not a 105 or M40 recoilless or anything like that.

J.Baker
09-28-2014, 10:45 PM
It's gotta be a .308. And if he complains about the recoil just show him this video of a 11-year old girl shooting one for two hours straight.

http://youtu.be/bdyRTyHltag

Read the full review here (http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/savage-model-11-trohpy-hunter-youth-308/)

fgw_in_fla
09-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Jim's got the right idea.
And if that doesn't help, I have a few pics of my 9yr old granddaughter shooting my beloved '06 at a target 150 yds away.

See?. Now aren't you glad you asked for help here?...

JASmith
09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
JA sticker shock alone got me on the TC. I got around $700 in my 111 .270 win I hunt with. He will be getting something in the Axis price range. Long Range I have no prob buying dies and I did think about the .243 being able to grow with him a little, but I really don't want to bump the recoil up to quick on him and shy him away from shooting. He hated the .410 the first year (he was 5) i let him try it. I need to go find that recoil chart I saw and see where a .410 is in the overall kick factor.
I completely understand the sticker shock issue but the very small size and weight would make him most comfortable.

An excellent alternative is a used Savage chambered for the 7.62x39. Once in hand, he can immediately start hunting with it. Should you decide to go with the Grendel, a simple barrel swap gets you there and he will still have the 7.62x39 for any of the SHTF scenarios.

Reloading is your friend in this quest. Doing so will allow you to get him effective hunting ammunition that yields recoil between that of the .223 and the .243 in cartridges that will handle most North American game. I this event, any 6.5 or .264 cartridge will work and this caliber has harvested thousands of tons of moose in Europe. The 6mm cartridges won't do that. The quarter bores come close, and the .270 isn't bad but no short cartridge is available for small rifles. Yes, the 6.8 is there, but it doesn't handle the bigger bullets that .260 rem, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5x55 or even the small Grendel can.

tufrthnails
09-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks so much guys for the input. I am going to get or build him a .243 since they are vastly available and possibly depending on a few things may work out to be a fun build for me and him. Frank man I am severely disappointed I was really hoping you had a spare 105mm out there on your property! Steel Rain!

fgw_in_fla
09-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much guys for the input. I am going to get or build him a .243 since they are vastly available and possibly depending on a few things may work out to be a fun build for me and him. Frank man I am severely disappointed I was really hoping you had a spare 105mm out there on your property! Steel Rain!

It is the wise man that lets is opponent wonder what he's up against...

Or something like that.

How about - Never tip your hand?

Whatever. Always keep 'em guessing.

RevM
09-29-2014, 01:23 PM
... Yes, the 6.8 is there, but it doesn't handle the bigger bullets that .260 rem, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5x55 or even the small Grendel can.

If you are limited to AR magazine length you are correct ... but one of the ideas of building a bolt gun is not to be limited to AR magwell maximums. In addition to the bullets in the following photo people have also had good results with Berger 140's.

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/67779323383344487035.jpg

JASmith
09-30-2014, 08:52 PM
If you are limited to AR magazine length you are correct ... but one of the ideas of building a bolt gun is not to be limited to AR magwell maximums. In addition to the bullets in the following photo people have also had good results with Berger 140's.

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/67779323383344487035.jpg
Nice collage!

I recall being pleasantly surprised when lighter bullets prompted by the SPC became available to my .270 Winchester.

Nonetheless, that number of bullets is less than one-third of the number of bullets available to the .264 / 6.5 mm cartridge. One can readily obtain bullets ranging from 85 grains to 160 grains for 6.5 / .264 cartridges. Reloading data for this range of bullets is available even for the small Grendel in AR carbines as well as the larger cartridges.

J.Baker
09-30-2014, 09:08 PM
There's always a couple guys who are proponents of a specific caliber or cartridge that start arguing back and forth for the sole purpose of justifying their own decision in threads like this. I think it's safe to say no 8-year old boy would be worried about whether the new rifle they just got handed was a 6.5mm or .277 caliber, or any other caliber for that matter.