PDA

View Full Version : 338 Edge Build on a Model 111 series J

lomfs24
09-28-2014, 02:10 AM
I know this is kind of a loaded question. But here goes anyway. I am thinking about building a 338 Edge. The build rifle for that would be a older model 111 series J single shot. Originally it was chambered in 22-250. Question for that is would the action take the stress of putting a 338 Edge barrel on it. I already have a bolt head for it. I realise that the actual action is a bit short for it but since it's a single shot anyway I am not too worried about feeding issues. And there should be more than enough room to eject a spent round. More worried about whether the action would take the stress.

Thoughts?

bootsmcguire
09-28-2014, 02:25 AM
It really should. Quite a few people have built small shank 338 EDGE rifles and other RUM based rounds as well, and report great success. Same goes for the WSM based cartridges, I have had a 300 WSM on a small shank, and currently have a 6-WSM wildcat on a small shank. No issues. As long as the barrel has a heavy contour around the chamber area you are good to go.

geargrinder
09-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Intermediate length actions should eject spent cases just fine. Even regular short actions will eject spent cases. It may not eject a loaded round.

It is plenty strong enough, just like boots said. I have had the same luck as him on all of my RUM and WSM small shank builds.

lomfs24
09-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now it's just a matter of moving forward. Guess it's time to find a barrel.

bootsmcguire
09-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Call Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) . He has a 338 EDGE reamer in house IIRC. Jim makes great barrels for good prices and better turn arounds then almost anybody else for a custom made barrel. Give him a shout and tell him I sent you. You'll be glad you did.

D.ID
09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
+1 for Apacche gunworks.
I have three 338 edge rifles, all small shank, one varmint and two bulls. Both the bulls came from Jim.
One on a 116 and two on 111s........all three easily well under .5 moa.