PDA

View Full Version : Bolt operation difficult

Ksmirk
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey fella's I bought my girlfriend a little Stevens M200 in 223 to get her back up and shooting, we took it out yesterday and noticed that the bolt was pretty dang difficult to operate! when you would lock it into battery it was pretty hard. I put one of Kevins bolt lift kits in it which made it better but it's stilll not nearly as smooth as my others. Before I dig into it I thought I would ask if anyone had an ideas? I've never had one that was this difficult to open or close. I also put on the oversized bolt handle from my M12 that I had replaced. Any ideas would be appreciated. Later,

Kirk

sage flats shooter
04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Check the front action screw see if it is sticking up into where the bolt lugs rotate.
I sounds like it might be a shade to long. Also look at the lugs on the bolt see if there are any drag marks to show you where the sticky might be coming from.

Hope it helps,
Steve D. the HP
Sage Flats Shooter

drybean
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
check your front scope base screws for being to long

drybean

Ksmirk
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
See that's why I ask questions! I didn't even thin about the scope base screws, they were on my M12 action and I got my new base so I transfered them over. I'll look when I get home. See the things you remember when your told ;D Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Bolts looked good, I took the bolt apart looked it over didn't see anything out of place put it back together and it seems to work much easier now? I guess I should pull it back apart and really look it over might be some burrs in there. I'm definatly not liking the centerfeed! Later,

Kirk

Kawabuggy
04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? If reloads, there is the possibility that you have not re-sized the case enough and it is binding up on bolt closure. Also, if reloading, are you checking your trim lengths? A case that is too long can get pinched between the rifling & bullet.

I guess I want to know is the bolt hard to close on an empty chamber, or only hard when there is a round in the chamber.

Ksmirk
04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Oh I bump the shoulders back each time on my 223 and trim. The bolt is difficult on a round or no round. I don't shoot factory rounds matter of a fact none of the rifles I have now have ever had a factory round fired thru them. Good thought thought it would make sense! that was one of the first things I checked ;D

It's like the bolt hits a spot then you rotate it further it free's up then hits another spot, I wonder if I shouldn't check out the lugs? might be some burrs on the reciever. Later,

Kirk

kkeene
04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
If you don't find anything obviously wrong I would call Savage before I did any work on it.

Ksmirk
04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I've built enough that the time from Savage to get it fixed I would be done. I might just pull the barrel and clean things up! it's not like a Savage barrel is difficult to remove or replace. For a cheap little pencil barrel this little rifle shoots very well so I may just keep it a 223 and let the girlfriend enjoy it, BUT it needs to get things smoothed out. Later,

Kirk

dolomite_supafly
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,2401.0.html

Follow the list in this posting by one of the mods here. I follow most of what is on that list by BillPa and it helps a lot to smooth the feel of the bolt lift. I would also look at getting a tactical handle as well. They are longer and give better leverage making the bolt lift feel lighter.

Dolomite

ellobo
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Whats this? A Savage with bolt lift requiring assistance from a gorilla? I am truly amazed.

El Lobo

hank440
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Can I rent the Gorilla for an hour I'm having the same problem on my model 16 ? ;D

BillPa
04-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Can I rent the Gorilla for an hour I'm having the same problem on my model 16 ? ;D

Well, I ain't the "Gorilla" I once wuz since I quite lifting (still smell the same though ;D) , but I'd be happy to help ya out. Hows one six pack per hour sound?

Bill ( hiccup) Pa.

ellobo
04-18-2010, 05:18 PM
One six pack? wow, cheap at twice the price. I would hold out for Sam Adams Boston Lager Bill.

El Lobo

Ksmirk
04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Dolomite, thanks for the link! I may have to turn down the bolt a touch and break out the smootie stuff. I took the oversized bolt handle from my M12 that I replaced with a more sexy tactical bolt handle right from the git-go. I'll have to do some playing the next couple of evenings and see what comes from it. Thanks fella's! Later,

Kirk

dolomite_supafly
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Dolomite, thanks for the link! I may have to turn down the bolt a touch and break out the smootie stuff. I took the oversized bolt handle from my M12 that I replaced with a more sexy tactical bolt handle right from the git-go. I'll have to do some playing the next couple of evenings and see what comes from it. Thanks fella's! Later,

Kirk

PM me your address and I'll send you the 38 special kit I make.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,28470.msg203559.html#msg203559

Dolomite

Ksmirk
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I've got one of Kevins lift kits in it now and granted it helped just nothing like my M12 but then again it has had a mess of work done to it. Thanks for the offer thought. Later,

Kirk