PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Found a Model 99 in .250-3000

GM4WALLS
09-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Found this rifle today at a pawn shop. The asking price is steep at $900, but I am willing to pay if it is worth it. The question is, what info do I need to gather to determine the value? Here is what I do know... The stock has a small compass in the top of the butt. (About as big around as a Bic pen) and the rotary mag has a counter. It has a side mount scope and a leather sling (which I know do not help identification. The rifling looks clean and sharp, and the gun has a nice patina, but it otherwise in beautiful condition. I will get the serial number and model letter ASAP so that I I can determine a value to offer for the gun.

Any other info that I need to know? Pros and cons? Strengths or weaknesses? Thanks in advance for any input.

J.Baker
09-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Personally I would never pay $900 for a 99 (or most any gun for that matter) that's had the receiver drilled and tapped for a side scope mount, but that's just me. There will be a stamp on the front side of the lever boss that has a number and letter inside a circle, that's the date stamp and will allow us to pinpoint what year it was made.

GM4WALLS
09-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I will try to talk him down, how much depends on the gun I guess.

Fireball
09-27-2014, 11:41 PM
You can do alot better than a side drilled receiver gun for $900. Nobody wants one, values stink. I'm like the other poster, I wouldn't even buy one, don't feel right carrying it.

GM4WALLS
09-28-2014, 09:56 AM
You can do alot better than a side drilled receiver gun for $900. Nobody wants one, values stink. I'm like the other poster, I wouldn't even buy one, don't feel right carrying it.

What at exactly is the reasoning behind this?

J.Baker
09-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Drilling holes in the receiver kills the collectability of the gun. Doesn't matter if it's a Savage Model 99, and old Winchester lever gun, or ?? - soon as you drill the first extra hole in the receiver no collector will touch it and it's value goes down significantly. If it were a cheap low-end or utility model the effect wouldn't be nearly as drastic, but on highly collectable and sought-after models like the 99 it's a killer.

As such, the $900 asking price is very steep for the gun in question. You can get on GunBroker and find plenty of 99's in .250-3000 Savage that haven't been drilled and are in very nice shape for that kind of money.

Ultimately though it's up to you and what you're willing to accept and pay. If the side-mount isn't an issue for you and you think it's a fair price then by all means buy it and enjoy it for years to come. Just don't expect to get near that back out of it if you ever go to sell it in the future.

GM4WALLS
09-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Well the $900 is definitely not going to happen. Determining a good offer price is why I am here.

mikein
09-28-2014, 08:05 PM
If you can buy the rifle for $500, you probably have a deal worth chasing; $900 is way over the legitimate limit.

GM4WALLS
09-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your input.

GM4WALLS
10-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Looked up the date via the serial number, apparently this gun a was made in 1941.