PDA

View Full Version : Barrel etching?

mattri
09-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Building a rifle for the wife. She wants to have some "decorations" etched into the gun, kind of like a scrimshaw.

The barrel will will be stainless, the receiver is a 200 SA.

Is it better to have everything coated first, then etch in the design or do it first?

Who does this kind of work?

J.Baker
09-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Think this is more of a gunsmithing question than a build question so I'm going to move it there.

As for your question, since you are talking etching, which is very, very shallow, I don't think it would show up very well if you had it done first and then coated over it. Can't help you on who does such work though, sorry.

mattri
09-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Really she is looking for almost a "tattoo" look, so hoping someone can chime in with recommendation.

J.Baker
09-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I guess it really depends on the etching itself - specifically how deep it is. Today etching on firearms is done primarily with laser (like the "Savage Arms" on Savage bolt bodies) or electromarking, and the depth of all three is so microscopic that you won't even feel it when you run a finger over it. Acid etching will get you a more depth, but I'm not familiar enough with the process or work to know if it would be enough to allow the detail to show through the thickness of a coated finish. In any event it may be best to etch a piece of scrap and coat it just to see how it turns out before doing the barrel itself.

mattri
09-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Good points. Think I've found a few places to talk to about it, definitely won't be tackling it myself, my artistic ability stops a little shy of stick men.

olddav
09-28-2014, 08:42 AM
You might try glass beading with a stencil.

mattri
09-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks- I'll look into that.

The barrel being stainless I need to figure out how/what I'm going to use to finish it.

So far she wants a semi gloss black look for the action and barrel so we'll probably have it Cerakoted or similar. Trying to determine if it should be engraved first, then coated over or coated first and then some kind of white "paint" or other kind of coating used over the engraving.

Kscoggins
10-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Have your cerakote guy stencil it and do a 2 tone.

cheezie
10-04-2014, 08:29 PM
To warrant this amount of detailed attention, she must really be worth it. Good luck, mattri!