PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a Vortex Viper?

Winny94
09-26-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm looking for a hunting scope for shots 50-200 yards in anything from hardwoods to picked corn fields. I'm seriously looking at the Vortex Viper 3-9. I'm looking for something in the $300-$350 range. A simple duplex reticle will suffice as I don't like BDC reticles.

Anyone have opinions?

foxx
09-26-2014, 10:37 PM
I like Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 x 32 for that kind of range. light. fairly compact. Great glass. Clear edge to edge. Bright. long, non critical eye reief. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/leupold.pl?page=leupold_vx-3_175-6x32

I do a lot of hunting in heavy cover of cedar swamps. Quick, running shots are the norm. Low power and clear optics with non critical eye relief is paramount. 6X is more than enough out to 250 yards. 3x can be too much at close range.

hal9000
09-26-2014, 11:15 PM
My little brother has a higher power viper on his .25 wssm. Very nice scope, and their warranty policy is excellent. When he dropped the rifle and it landed square on one of the turrets, he sent it in and they repaired it with no questions and no fee and it arrived back on his doorstep within 4 days of them receiving it.

cowtownup
09-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I have 2 vortex scopes one of which is a Viper... I really like them both... As stated above, warranty is excellent but hopefully you won't need it...

n4ue
09-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I have 4 of the 4-16X50s and just love them. Never, ever had a problem.

ron

shiyfire
09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Owned a few ,never impressed with them...great warranty and you will need it most likely.

justdave
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
The Razor line is fantastic and made in Japan. The rest is typical Philippine. Like shiyfire said, you're likely going to need to utilize that fantastic warranty.

Winny94
09-28-2014, 12:08 AM
The Razor line is fantastic and made in Japan. The rest is typical Philippine. Like shiyfire said, you're likely going to need to utilize that fantastic warranty.

Have an example?

justdave
09-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Sure. I ordered a PST when they first came out. While waiting on it, for months, I started seeing posts on many forums about how poor they were performing. I got cold feet and called the dealer to cancel my order. Four months later, it showed up, my order wasn't canceled. I mounted it up and gave it a shot and, here's where Vortex hooked me...I was so in love with that reticle and until a few others followed up with a good MOA reticle, I kept going back for more. First one would shift poi w/ magnification change,sent it back. Second,the replacement for that ,had black flakes in it, got it fixed, sold it! (6-24 ffp) Third, a 4-16, wouldn't keep zero, shifted 2moa vertically and sporadically, developed canted reticle, got it fixed, sold it. The fourth, a 1-4, developed a canted reticle, got a refund for that. I can understand a lemon every now and then but, too many lemons left a bad taste. Now that Nightforce has the MOAR reticle, I'm completely satisfied and confident that the odds of a failure are dramatically less than a Vortex. I will also add that the fist 2 failures were on a .260, the third was on a .308, the last on an AR15 (during a 3- gun match) not magnums, not hard hitters in the least.

cowtownup
09-28-2014, 09:35 AM
I just can't justify spending the 2k on a NightForce or even the high end Vortex Razor. I think there are many more folks seeing positive results from using Vortex optics than there are folks seeing problems. For the price point of the optic it's really good IMO. I have only owned cheaper than $600 optics so I haven't even experienced the GOOD stuff yet..

justdave
09-28-2014, 09:59 AM
I certainly don't harbor any animosity towards vortex, I do hope they have got it together now. I left them over 2 years ago so, they have had time to make corrections. However, I will not be dishonest about my experience if someone asks. And, to their credit, they inspired some other manufacturers to make more offerings in the reticle department.

cowtownup
09-28-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm sure you don't Dave. Honestly, I'm looking forward to progressing in this hobby such that I'm a good enough shooter and have good enough equipment to distinguish some of the discrepancies that you mention. However, the joy is in the journey and I'm having fun with it...

243LPR
09-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Have 2 6.5x20x44 Vipers,one bdc and one mildot. Of the 2 I like the bdc best. Very clear,never had a problem. Cameraland has the best price on them right now. For the money I think they're worth it.

john800
09-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I have a 2-7x I have used on a deer rifle and a turkey 20 ga. I also own varix II and vx3 leupolds a weaver grand slam and some burris fullfieldIIs for comparison. The optics are pretty bright and clear, I would say they are comparable to the other scopes in its price range, Mine does not track perfectly, meaning that sometimes if you make an adjustment the adjustment does not show for a couple shots, (if you really pay attention most in this price range and higher do this to some extent) but once it is there it has held for me. I had heard good things about how clear the optics were and when I saw the 2-7x deeply discounted on clearance I picked it up as a spare, I would say that the reports I heard of the glass being comparable to stuff that was twice the price were exagerated, basically it is a viable option, but not a standout best in class. The redfield revolution is IMPO another good buy, and I am sure there are others

sixonetonoffun
09-28-2014, 11:58 PM
My son brought over a Nikon Monarch he just got. Think it was the one before the 5 series. I'm not a fan of the reticle but it was very nice in 2.5-10x put 40 rounds down his 7rm off a lead sled and it didn't fall apart! Anyway its in your price range and is in an excellent magnification range. I have a vx-ii.3-9x40 $299 on mine for the price its hard to beat. I would definitely buy another vx ii or iii simply because they are lightweight, easy to resale.

CharlieNC
10-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I have two Nikon Buckmasters from Natchez; they are factory refurbished, look new, and around 30% discount. One is 4.5-14 mil dot, and the other is 4-12 duplex. I purchased one set of target turrets and covers from Amazon, and just use for the vertical so this set did two scopes. Killed hogs at dark and elk at 400 yards with these; I tape label paper on the turret and mark it based on the altitude/conditions I am hunting and dial in. For around $250 I don't think you will beat these, and I have no complaints for the intended use. Yes my target scopes are more expensive and nicer, but would not present any better odds of connecting on the shot unless considering much longer ranges. I'm still buying scopes for more $ for targets, but no intent to replace these for hunting.

Jeffro
10-07-2014, 06:10 AM
I recently decided to start shooting with a buddy at work who is a police sniper. I didn't have the fat budget to get what he and another first suggested. They both turned me onto the Savage, so I pulled the trigger. Hence here I am on this forum. I say all that to state the more senior of the two turned me on to Vortex to continue my budget rifle. I respect both of these guys and their suggestions. I settled on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA. It was only about $100 more than your stated budget. For someone like me that had never shot further than 200 yards with a Bushnell or Simmons 3-9 scope it is awesome. First day on range with my Savage I ran a 100 yard zero then doped per my buddy's instructions all the way out to 800 yards. I had no problems at all. Want to try further but that was the range limit. One major selling point was the no bs warranty.

psharon97
10-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I have 2 Vortex Viper pst rifles scopes and they are outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Viper for your purpose.

mattri
10-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Have owned a few, running a 2.5-10 and love it. For your uses I would also look at Redfield, great scope with the Leupold warranty.