PDA

View Full Version : Front Baffle Orientation

buyobuyo
04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I recently picked up an old (1959) 110L short action in 308. I gave it a good cleaning after having out at the range today, and I disassembled the bolt. I noticed while I was cleaning the various pieces that the center hole in front baffle has a radius on one side but not the other. I didn't note what the orientation was when I took the bolt apart, so I was wondering which end the radius faces. It seems to fit the same in either orientation.

Thanks.

GaCop
04-12-2010, 06:19 AM
The right lug of the baffle should have a rib on the lower edge. This is orientated to the right when assembling the bolt. This lug also enters the action on the right. HTH

Welcome aboard! If you become a paid member ($12/yr) you'll have access to the tech articles and the classifieds,

Tom

Dirk
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM
The older ones do not have the guide rib. The radius faces forward toward the bolt head. Everyone is a salesman!

buyobuyo
04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Dirk: Thanks for the info. Any other tips/tricks I should know about the older 110s? The bolts really stiff after assembly but loosens up a bit after being cycled a dozen or two times because the rear screw backs out a hair. Is this normal?

Thanks again.

Dirk
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
You gotta make that rear screw TIGHT. Backing out a hair is unacceptable as it is releasing firing pin spring tension.

Set the firing pin protrusion to .030-.040" and the cocking pin forward stop to .005". A lift kit from http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/accessories.html might help also.