PDA

View Full Version : My 12 LRPV hates me

Pages : [1] 2

boy412
04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not new to guns, but this IS my first rifle.

After lots of research I decided on a Savage 12 LRPV in .223 (1:9 twist). Received it from my FFL this past Thursday and was very happy. Its absolutely gorgeous and is everything I hoped it would be. But it hates me.

:'(

Mounted the optics and bore sighted it the same day, but had to wait for Sunday to go to the range to sight it in. Sunday finally arrived and I took my first few shots. After firing three shots successfully I got what felt like a misfire on the fourth. Ejected the round and looked at the primer. It hadn't been touched! Tried another round and it fired. Fired two more rounds and got another "click" with no "boom". ???

That was the last time I was able to get it to fire. I took it back home, cleaned it, and checked everything over. Grabbed some different ammo and headed back to the range. No love this time either! One of the range officers noticed I was having some trouble and came over to help out. He picked it up, chambered a round, shouldered it, and fired it. Then fired it three more times. I picked it up, chambered a round, and...

click

WFT! This gun apparently hates me. OK...I know it doesn't hate me, but it is doing some very strange things. Its almost like the safety and the Accutrigger are in cahoots. Sometimes when cycling the action the entire trigger assembly seems to be locked, and the safety is locked as well. Other times I CAN dry-fire the gun just fine.

I've read about similar problems, and I will try adjusting the trigger pull a bit. The odd thing is that when I DID get the trigger to pull, the firing pin obviously wasn't connecting with the primer. The other problems I've heard about it was just that the trigger was freezing. Mine is doing that, but is also doing other weird stuff too.

Again, this is my first rifle and I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision choosing a Savage. This is allegedly their top end rifle in the 12 Varmint series, so I have to question their QC. I shouldn't have to "figure this out" on a new gun! This will be a great test to see what their customer service is like.

Any other things I should look for on these target actions? It really is a beautiful gun...I just want it to work!

Thanks...

Locosmith
04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Are ypu putting the safety on? If it's not adjusted correctly, it can give you problems, Its one pf the allen screws. I miss adjusted it on mine and had all kinds of weird things happen to the acc trigger. Loco

82boy
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Well I have some good news your LRPV doesn't hate you it just don't like what your doing to its trigger. :) Turn the weight of the trigger up, what you have described is a very common problem people have when they are getting use to the accu-trigger.

boy412
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I'll give it another go...but I don't see what there really is to get used to!

:)

I haven't touched the safely, to answer another poster's question. I don't feel like I should have to adjust anything on a box-new gun...but maybe this is standard operating procedure for these target actions?

Won't get a chance to test this theory out until next weekend. Sucks spending two hours in the car and only firing 4-5 rounds. Never did get the scope sighted in.

:(

pa hog
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you tripping the Accu-Trigger safety,make sure you pull the trigger strait back and pull the blade back to the trigger before you depress the trigger you may also want to adjust your trigger a bit heavier.

82boy
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll give it another go...but I don't see what there really is to get used to!

You would be surprised, if you pull back on the side of the trigger it will do what you are describing. There is no need to adjust the safety, just increase the trigger weight, and your problem will go away. Trust me.

boy412
04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I will certainly do that. Like I said I won't get to try this out until next weekend...but seems like a good idea.

It would have been nice if Savage had added a sentence or two to the manual for people experiencing this problem! Does anyone know what the weight is set to from the factory? Its pretty light whatever it is! I have to say it feels fantastic...when it actually fires. The range officers all wanted to take it home.

deadeye
04-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Just to elaborate on what 82boy said:

Along with his suggestion of turning up the weight: many times guys pull the blade of the accu-trigger slightly to the side rather than straight back - it will misfire this way. It will seem like it did what it was supposed to but in fact, the firing pin will not hit the primer.

This would better explain why it worked for the other guy and not for you.

Uncle Jack
04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this is a known problem, why in the He11 doesn't Savage fix it. There is no acceptable reason why a buyer of a new rifle should have to learn the "secrets" of how to make it go bang.

uj

stevec
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree UJ, they should explain this in the manual. I understand that it is the price to pay for that light of a "safe" trigger but a little note in the manual would be nice.

Steve

boy412
04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Yes! What UJ and SteveC said!

Don"t get me wrong...I AM a fan of these rifles! I just wasn't expecting a learning curve.

z71rat
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I thought this forum was the addendum to the Savage Manual!! ;D You really need to get a Zoom Snap Cap and do some dry-fire practice. It will help!!

Seriously though... you have an awesome rifle. But part of the fun is in learning all it's little tricks. It will pay off in the end, I assure you!!

DK

Dirk
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Boy412,

The above posters are ALL wrong. Your rifle really DOES hate you. ;D

Pete K.
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Boy412,

What the members are telling you is correct. You will get used to the Accu-Trigger in short order. Just remember this... The Accu-trigger is designed to give you an out of the box pull weight of 1 1/2 pounds or so compared to most rifle manufactures weights from 4 lbs and up!! To accomplish this and to have a reliable safe system that eliminates a shooters unintentional tap on the trigger during handling or other accident from an unready shooter, Savage has a system where you need to depress all three pieces that make up the Accu-trigger at the same time.
The two outer blades of the trigger are designed to lock up the firing pin if the center release blade is not depressed along with the two outer blades simultaneously. This is for safety reasons and to bypass the lawyers while offering somewhat of a "match" type trigger. A light trigger lends to more accurate shooting. You mentioned that you are a shooter but not a rifle shooter. If you are used to pistols then you know how heavy the trigger pull can be for safety reasons.
Try using just the middle of your trigger finger between the last joint to the end.... right in the middle where it is more flat. You should get a comfortable grip on the rise of the stock behind the action where you can easily reach the trigger and just use a slow straight back "squeeze" and it will fire.
Safety measures to obtain a light and more accurate trigger is not a bad thing. It should take you very little time to learn to love the Accu-trigger compared to a stock Remington, Winchester etc. I would love a 4 OZ Jewell trigger for target shooting but I don't want accidental discharges.
Report back to us after you fire off 50 to 100 rounds and let us know about the accuracy you are getting with that Accu-Trigger and your rifle.

Best regards,

Pete K.

stevec
04-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I think it does hate you!

Send it to me and I'll see if i offend it. ;D

Steve

LG
04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Perhaps Savage is not including any specific instructions for the target accutriggers anymore but they used to. I bought a 12 F/TR rifle in 2008. The manual that came with the gun was the standard manual for Savage centerfire rifles. However along with the manual there was a separate sheet of paper talking about the "target" accutrigger. I don't remember the exact words, but I'm pretty sure it explained how the trigger works, and how it can lock up if the blade isn't pulled straight back or when the bolt is closed fast. I don't have such instructions anymore for I sold the rifle.

At the original factory setting the trigger locked up on me a number of times. I had to close the bolt very slowly to avoid it. Increasing the pull weight took care of it, no more lock-ups.

boy412
04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
So...it's a FEATURE, not a bug! Well that makes me feel a bit better anyway.

Savage DOES engrave a warning on the side of the receiver, but I did not see any other instructions or warnings in the manual. That's all very well...I appreciate that this is something of a different animal and I'm looking forward to getting her back onto the range. I just wish I had been made aware of this secret handshake sooner!

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I appreciate the input!

WaltherP99
04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
but I did not see any other instructions or warnings in the manual.

It's in there. The blade is referred to as the accu-release. Section 6 "Accutrigger Adjustments"

Good luck with the rifle and I am sure you'll have an enjoyable shooter! ;)

boy412
04-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I guess what I meant to say is that there is nothing in the manual that says:

"If your gun isn't firing or the trigger seems frozen then do X, Y, and Z"

I realize they outline how to adjust the AccuTrigger, but if they had alluded to this "feature" I would have known what was going on from the onset. Anyway, I think I'm on the right path...and again I appreciate everyone's input. This is a great forum!

WaltherP99
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I guess what I meant to say is that there is nothing in the manual that says:

"If your gun isn't firing or the trigger seems frozen then do X, Y, and Z"

I realize they outline how to adjust the AccuTrigger, but if they had alluded to this "feature" I would have known what was going on from the onset. Anyway, I think I'm on the right path...and again I appreciate everyone's input. This is a great forum!

I understand and my post wasn't meant to be a "told ya so" sort of reply! :) They explain it in a round about sort of way but they don't directly say "if you don't do this.....".

Anyways, just thought I would point it out to you so you could get an idea of what is happening! :) Just trying to help.