PDA

View Full Version : My 12 LRPV hates me

Pages : 1 [2]

boy412
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
I understand and my post wasn't meant to be a "told ya so" sort of reply! :) They explain it in a round about sort of way but they don't directly say "if you don't do this.....".
Anyways, just thought I would point it out to you so you could get an idea of what is happening! :) Just trying to help.

No worries...I DO appreciate the input.

:)

memilanuk
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this is a known problem, why in the He11 doesn't Savage fix it. There is no acceptable reason why a buyer of a new rifle should have to learn the "secrets" of how to make it go bang.

Teaching the consumer how to properly use a trigger i.e. press straight back, is somewhat beyond the factory's ability to 'fix'. Its a matter of proper form; this particular trigger design just happens to highlight it rather than mask it.

When these things first came out with the Target Accutriggers set at 6 oz., you wouldn't *believe* how many people claimed their gun was misfiring. And you can guess about how many didn't want to believe (or hear over the 'Net) they weren't using the trigger correctly... "I've been shooting rifles longer than you been alive, sonny" ;) Thats all well and good, Gramps, but it doesn't count if you didn't learn to do it right in the first place! (Not referring to anyone particular here, just an example, so nobody get their panties in a wad!)

Generally speaking, spending five minutes or so with the gun in your lap dry firing with your eyes close should 'illuminate' the problem. When your brain isn't processing the target, the crosshairs, controlling the gun in the rest, etc. but just simply focusing on pulling the trigger, you'd be amazed what you can 'feel'. Try 'pushing' one way or the other as you pull the trigger, see how having your knuckle touching the stock (i.e. 'dragging wood', as it's called in position shooting) or the bolt handle can affect your trigger pull. Once you have a feel (literally) for the 'right' way to work that trigger, your range sessions will probably be much more fruitful.

Monte

DGD6MM
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Very well put Monte, when my buddy started teaching me to shoot long distance that was one of the things he schooled me on but he called it finger rub. This happened before I was shooting Savages. One thing about it is when the form is there the accuracy is better. After reading this topic yesterday I opened my manual and read over the section on the accutrigger and sure enough in a round about way it tells you that the trigger has to be shot properly to function properly. How many other firearm manufacturers do that for the consumer? Pretty neat in my book.

bluealtered
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
My owners manual states that the trigger is set very light from the factory, and may need to be adjusted to suit me. It was and did need to be adjusted. Since then its been just perrrrfect. blue

boy412
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
So...this gun is going to FORCE me to be a better shooter!

In a way I like that it doesn't tolerate sloppy trigger control...I was just really surprised how much trouble it was giving me. If not for this forum I would have sent it back to Savage for "repair".

Thanks everyone! I've adjusted the trigger to the point where it isn't locking up anymore. Now I just need to hoof it back out to the range and get this thing sighted in. I'll report back if everything goes well. Tools are coming with me this time in case I need to make any further adjustments.

wbm
04-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Or worse. Maybe you should cuss it! Sometimes that works. ;D

Pete K.
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

In a way I like that it doesn't tolerate sloppy trigger control...I was just really surprised how much trouble it was giving me. If not for this forum I would have sent it back to Savage for "repair".

Thanks everyone! I've adjusted the trigger to the point where it isn't locking up anymore. Now I just need to hoof it back out to the range and get this thing sighted in. I'll report back if everything goes well. Tools are coming with me this time in case I need to make any further adjustments.

boy412,

Now that you have removed the barrel/action from the stock to adjust the accu trigger you should read in the owners manual how to properly reattach the barrel/action into the stock!! That is if you haven't already done so.
Basically what it says is to position the bare stock vertical on it's but pad, place the rear action part into the stock first so that the recoil lug fits properly, then press the barrel end into the stock. Put in the top action screw first, then the rear action screw, then snug up to around 60 inch pounds. Doing otherwise may affect accuracy.Reading the owners guide is a good thing.....

Pete K. :)

boy412
04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I think I'm going to take it out and do it again as I didn't do it quite that way. The manual was quite vague about this (stock removal and replacement), only to check and make sure the safety was functional in all three positions after replacing the action.

I didn't see anywhere in the manual that stated specific torque values. 60 inch/pounds? Really?

range rat
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
While the stock is off, set the trigger to it's lowest setting and slam the bolt closed. Then you'll see what's happening when the sear locks up on the accu-lever. One out of three target triggers I have works fine at it's lowest setting.

Dennis
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
The LRPV are touchy . . . . keep practing, you will get the hang of it and will love it. I have probably 5 of them, NO problems.

boy412
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes...I'm sure I will! And I'm also sure I'll want another one soon! Maybe in 6.5x55 Swedish.

-eb-

coyotehunter
04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Please remember that the LRPV trigger system (red trigger) has a safety feature, that if you close the bolt to sharply, it will go into a "safe" mode.
The bolt must be closed with care.
This may or may not help your situation.
Just a thought.

Dirk
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
It's called 'Accu-Trigger' 8)

2recon
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
the same thing happened to me..a new 22-250 LRPV..fired 3 out of 15 tries..would not extract or eject..called savage ..returned on a call tag..fixed & back in 3 wks..it shot so good i got another one in 6mm br..which also shoot great..on a lyman pull gage..at 8 oz the trigger works fine...you didn't have to adjust up much..the 6 br i have no problems with as it was set a 8oz...all in all..there the best shooting factory rifles i have ever had