PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

x-hunter
09-24-2014, 05:23 PM
I have three Savage rifles and have been happy with them so far. I have a chance to buy a 11/111 Trophy hunter XP with the Nikon scope in 30-06 caliber for $350. The person who is selling said he shot 10 rds with it, and does not like the recoil so he's buying a 308 win instead. The gun is virtually brand new and has the box papers and some ammo. What do you think? If I buy it and don't like it I can at least get my money back right? The Savage MSRP is $620, $570 in Cabelas. I don't see how I can go wrong. Unless everyone thinks it's a clam.

craigsoutdoorsports
09-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Sounds good, but don't be sight unseen. Get your hands on it and really look it over before buying. But, that is a fair price for a used one. At least it is around here. I sell that package deal for $504 +tax at my shop new.

x-hunter
09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks, I have read some post here that some people were having trouble getting these rifles to shoot like a Savage. I expect to change the scope rings, but anything around 2 moa is ok with me for a hunting rifle, I hand load and do like working up loads for rifles but also have realistic expectations, and do not know if I will keep it so I have no plans of doing anything more than changing the rings and trying out some good handloads. I was hoping I could get some opinions on how well they shoot for people that have bought them. Thanks again.

klr
09-24-2014, 09:15 PM
If it's in great shape that's a good price, but don't forget that Savage has a $75 rebate right now if you want a different caliber.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78134/Savage+111+TH+XP+30-06+NIKON

drybean
09-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Were I live at its a great buy

x-hunter
09-25-2014, 09:38 AM
If it's in great shape that's a good price, but don't forget that Savage has a $75 rebate right now if you want a different caliber.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78134/Savage+111+TH+XP+30-06+NIKON
Thank you, but this is a private sale, I don't think rebates would apply. The guy selling the rifle probably already took the rebate money or he would not have taken that big of a loss on it. I went and bought it last night. I saw the rifle on armslist. It is in brand new condition. How would you get a rebate and a different calibe? I want to shoot it soon but I need to load up some ammo. I plan on starting with IMR 4350 with 165 gr Hornady Interlok's, any thought's? Does anyone have a pet load they would be willing to share?

DanSavage
09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
You should be able to work up a load that will get below 4 MOA.

x-hunter
09-25-2014, 03:37 PM

I hope your kidding. If that's the case there will be a rifle for sale.

tufrthnails
09-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Curious where you come up with 4 MOA. 4.188" groups at 100 yards is close to what my Trophy hunter shot before I replaced the rings and mounts, but even Factory loads were below 2" at 100 yards once I changed them out and my handloads are below 1" if I do my part correctly. this is a serious question is the load he plans to work up that bad?

x-hunter
09-25-2014, 04:02 PM

I hope your kidding. If that's the case there will be a rifle for sale.

foxx
09-25-2014, 04:09 PM
With careful hand loading I have always gotten down to 1/2 moa at 100 with all my Savages, (25-06, .223, .308, 270, 30-6, 260) old, used and new, even with factory barrels. I don't think that's unusual.

x-hunter
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Curious where you come up with 4 MOA. 4.188" groups at 100 yards is close to what my Trophy hunter shot before I replaced the rings and mounts, but even Factory loads were below 2" at 100 yards once I changed them out and my handloads are below 1" if I do my part correctly. this is a serious question is the load he plans to work up that bad?

That's more like what I would hope for. What did you use for mounts and rings? I assume you are using the Nikon scope that came with gun. Do you mind sharing the load data that you are using ? The redundant post was a mistake but I do have confidence in my ability to shoot at least as good as the gun will.

DanSavage
09-25-2014, 07:24 PM
LOL! Yes I am sorry for joking around,,, it's just that I've resently tried to zero a 30/06 for a guy with factory rounds, and I will admit that I suck at shooting higher recoiling guns,, I gues I'm not man enough.LOL

tufrthnails
09-26-2014, 08:57 AM
That's more like what I would hope for. What did you use for mounts and rings? I assume you are using the Nikon scope that came with gun. Do you mind sharing the load data that you are using ? The redundant post was a mistake but I do have confidence in my ability to shoot at least as good as the gun will.
Mount is DNZ Gamereaper one piece. There are better out there but I love it just need to realize you don't have much room to adjust for eye relief. Yes I like the Nikon that came with it so far. I can share my load data but it won't help you much I am shooting .270win. LOL I share your frustration Dan last year I helped my cousin zero his 7mm RUM. 12 rds through it and I was fighting the flinch bad.

x-hunter
09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
LOL! Yes I am sorry for joking around,,, it's just that I've resently tried to zero a 30/06 for a guy with factory rounds, and I will admit that I suck at shooting higher recoiling guns,, I gues I'm not man enough.LOL
Everyone flinches, It's just that some people just won't admit it.