PDA

View Full Version : Slug gun scope?

Winny94
09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
I've narrowed down the search for my slug gun scope to the Vortex Diamondback, Leupold Ultimate Slam, and Zeiss Terra X3. Obviously the Vortex is most affordable and the Zeiss is most expensive. Anyone have experience with any of these or suggest another model? Most shots in that 75-125 range but will have some 200 mixed in too. I don't care for BDC reticles, so basic duplex is fine for me.

bootsmcguire
09-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Vortex is good stuff. I have 2 and love 'em. Might get another for my new slug gun build. IMHO a 3-9x40 or 2-7x40 range work great for slug guns.

thermaler
09-24-2014, 02:12 AM
eye relief? I have a nikon slughunter on a remmie slug gun--it has held up well under year's of heavy pounding and is quality for budget price IMO--even if you don't like BDC.

Winny94
09-24-2014, 08:03 AM
eye relief? I have a nikon slughunter on a remmie slug gun--it has held up well under year's of heavy pounding and is quality for budget price IMO--even if you don't like BDC.

Eye relief isn't high on my priority list as the 220 is more like a rifle than a shotgun.

rjtfroggy
09-24-2014, 09:47 AM
You better think about eye relief because depending on the slug my 220 can kick like a mule. I even replaced the cheap plastic stock with a laminate to absorb some of the recoil.
Try a good fixed power in either 4 or 6 power.

Winny94
09-24-2014, 03:54 PM
You better think about eye relief because depending on the slug my 220 can kick like a mule. I even replaced the cheap plastic stock with a laminate to absorb some of the recoil.
Try a good fixed power in either 4 or 6 power.

I'm moving down from a 12ga single shot, so the 20ga is not a problem.

pdog06
09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I have the 2-7 Leupold Ultimateslam on my 220f and love it. Of course it is very bright and very clear, and the reticle is a nice feature. I would highly recommend this scope for your slug gun. I live and hunt in a shotgun only area and have owned many different shotgun scopes over the years and this one is by far the best Ive ever owned.

As for the reticle, it has drops for both 12 and 20ga for out to 300 yards. I would never shoot that far freehand at a deer(well, maybe...lol) with it, but just for kicks I have tested it a few times just to see how close it was. At one of our Pa. Savageshoots a couple of us each shot it from a bench and hit a 15 inch round gong at 300yds!!!! It was pretty cool to see, and there were Savageshooters members as witnesses to boot.......LOL

Orr89rocz
12-03-2014, 12:02 PM
If recoil doesnt concern you then you really dont have to limit yourself to a shotgun type scope.

Recoil does concern me on my custom remington 870 so i got a cabelas pine ridge rifle scope on it that has 4-5" of relief. Works fantastic. 3-9x power comes in handy

EFBell
12-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I have a good old Leupold VXII 3-9 on my 220 F. And its great for my needs, plenty of eye relief is more important than you might think when your all bulked up with heavy clothing. The Leupold's always give great eye relief. The VXII 3-9 is no exception. And they are usually priced right.

I can also attest to P-dog hitting the gong with his 220 F at 300 yards.