PDA

View Full Version : SAVAGE ACTION PERFORMANCE COMPARISION

aimatit
04-11-2010, 07:28 AM
I am interested in having a WSM caliber rifle built. I would appreciate opinions, and/or comparative test results or just personal experiences of people that have owned or shot both the varmit actions and the target actions. Will the different actions show a difference in accuracy potential, all other components being equal ie...barrels triggers stocks and caliber? I know that one action is labeled as Target and the other sporting or varmit, but does one out perform the other in the accuracy dept.? Thanks

range rat
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
The same barrel on both target and varmint actions should yield the same results. Both actions are thicker and heavier the most other factory products . A gunsmith I know has seen some destroyed actions and says " If a gun is going to blow up in my face I want it to have a savage action".

placek59
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM
If you're asking about the target action vs. the LRPV action, I don't think you would notice a difference. I don't have any experience with these actions but have read in a couple different places that some guys can't tell a difference in the target action to a "sporting" action, accuracy potential-wise, that is.

aimatit
04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Placek59, Can you direct me to those articles? Thanks

placek59
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Of course I can't find them now. :-\ But-- Here's one of them off this site. It isn't the one I was thinking of, but said pretty much the same thing. I think I may have read about it on 6mmbr.com too as I do quite a bit of lurking there as well. I think what some people are saying is that with a mild cartridge and a good aftermarket trigger, many shooters probably aren't good enough to tell the difference between the two. But please don't take this as gospel.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,14891.0.html

aimatit
04-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Placek59, Thanks, I want to have a rifle built and, was trying to gather any helpful info.

DGD6MM
04-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I built a 7RSAUM off a BVSS .300WSM. I have a Target rifle in a singleshot chambered in 6CM. The rest of my Savages are repeaters and I believe they are equal in accurate ability.If your looking to build a repeater don't hesitate to do so you'll be fine.

aimatit
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Sir, How involved is it to do the change over from WSM to RSAUM? Thanks