PDA

View Full Version : Mod 110 scope mount and ring suggestions?

hal9000
09-23-2014, 01:26 AM
Hi all,
Now that I have my 30-06 sorted and shooting well, I'm moving on to other things. After my fall hunt, I'll be re-mounting the scope to bring it down closer to the action. So far I've had some trouble finding a ring/mount setup that will allow any eye relief adjustment. I figure I'm not the only person to run into this problem so I figured I'd ask and see if there's a known good setup for the 110?

Thanks all

jonbearman
09-23-2014, 10:01 AM
I have had to switch to picitany rails from egw along with burris signature zee rings,the ones with the plastic inserts to make minute windage and elevation changes if the factory goofed on hole location.

hal9000
09-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks, that spurs another question. all the Picatinny rails I found that will fit my rifle (Long action, flat back model) are listed as "20 MOA lift" Does this correspond to a specific height (I assume it does) or is the rail actually machined with an angular departure from the bore (I would assume not)?

My optic has a 44mm objective and I want to keep it as low as possible for the obvious reasons. I switched from a 50 mm optic recently so my goal is to drop it down by about 1/4" (which would mean a roughly 1.5" centerline height vs the current 1.75"). It's always hard with mail order items to figure out if they'll give the right scope height, but based on what I have now I was assuming I'd need a low mount rail and either low or med height rings. That's just a seat of the pants guesstimate though. Am I missing an easy way to determine the mounting height of the bases and rings?

Sorry, if it sounds like a dumb question. For the most part once I get a rifle set up the way I want it, it stays that way forever, so I don't get much practice when it comes to shopping for small parts.

rjtfroggy
09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I use the Burris XTR bases(2 Piece) with the Xtr rings. Low rings may work, they are higher than normal rings.
Go to www.swfa.com and look under mounts& rings then I would call to make sure.
EGW also make 0 moa bases but they are still pretty high off the receiver.

CAPTBEACH
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I am running an EGW 0 and 20MOA one piece Picattiny rails on two of my guns...one a longer range 308(20MOA) and one a shorter range hunter 308 (0MOA) and Burris XTreme Rings Medium on the long range as the stock is such that I have a higher comb, and Low rings on the hunter, both scopes are SWFA...both are exceptionally rugged set ups and you will be happy with them....highly recommend them.

Bad Hammer
09-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I am running an EGW 0 and 20MOA one piece Picattiny rails on two of my guns...one a longer range 308(20MOA) and one a shorter range hunter 308 (0MOA) and Burris XTreme Rings Medium on the long range as the stock is such that I have a higher comb, and Low rings on the hunter, both scopes are SWFA...both are exceptionally rugged set ups and you will be happy with them....highly recommend them.
Look at that. Your 308-th post.:thumb:

hal9000
09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
I have had to switch to picitany rails from egw along with burris signature zee rings,the ones with the plastic inserts to make minute windage and elevation changes if the factory goofed on hole location.

By the way, is screw hole misalignment a common issue on pre-accutrigger 110's? To zero my scope, I had to adjust the windage to within about 3 min of the right stop, which is just outside the manufacturers recommendations for best performance (they recommend trying to maintain a minimum of 15 clicks from the stop to maintain good spring pressure on the erector tube), and from memory it was similar with the old optic that I replaced. It's nice to know that someone makes offset rings to correct that, but I hadn't even considered that the mounting holes might be the issue. I was just assuming it was a problem with the mounts....

foxx
09-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks, that spurs another question. all the Picatinny rails I found that will fit my rifle (Long action, flat back model) are listed as "20 MOA lift" Does this correspond to a specific height (I assume it does) or is the rail actually machined with an angular departure from the bore (I would assume not)?

yep, it's actually angled down 20 MOA. If your scope does not adjust enough to allow extreme long range (1,000 yards, maybe) and you actually WANT to shoot that far away, you can use a 20 or 25moa base to give your scope the range it needs for it. If that's all you have, it will likely work. Might not allow you to get a 100 yard zero, though. Sometimes you have to go out to 200. If it's the typical 0-400 yard hunting rig, I'd keep looking for 0 moa. They should be readily available.

hal9000
09-23-2014, 01:47 PM
yep, it's actually angled down 20 MOA. If your scope does not adjust enough to allow extreme long range (1,000 yards, maybe) and you actually WANT to shoot that far away, you can use a 20 or 25moa base to give your scope the range it needs for it. If that's all you have, it will likely work. Might not allow you to get a 100 yard zero, though. Sometimes you have to go out to 200. If it's the typical 0-400 yard hunting rig, I'd keep looking for 0 moa. They should be readily available.

Yep, I found zero moa versions, They just didn't show up in my original google searches. Once I started searching individual vendors I started to see them.

1000 yd shooting might be fun, but not necessary with a hunting rifle.

Bearguide444
09-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I use a egw picattiny rail - I have the same problem with eye relief for my 338-06 I use weaver grand slam rings and leupold vari X III scope 40mm objective

xsskeet
09-23-2014, 05:14 PM
EGW one piece picatinny rail and the Burris Signature Z Rings. You can get the "Off set inserts" and this will prevent running out of windage. Use the off sets to align the scope.

Added bonus, is they never mar the scope. :cool:

Best price I have found for the rails http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/. If your Military or a LEO, you get an added little discount. They are great to deal with.

DzNutz
09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi all,
Now that I have my 30-06 sorted and shooting well, I'm moving on to other things. After my fall hunt, I'll be re-mounting the scope to bring it down closer to the action. So far I've had some trouble finding a ring/mount setup that will allow any eye relief adjustment. I figure I'm not the only person to run into this problem so I figured I'd ask and see if there's a known good setup for the 110?Thanks all
I just got done moving my BSA 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm from my .308 10FCPK (put a Vortex Viper PST on her) over to my older model (flat back) 110 long action 7mm RemMag. The 110 has this mount below and I am using the Burris Signature Z rings with inserts and this set-up is great and allows for plenty of eye relief adjustment. It puts the scope nice and close to the action and the Burris rings with the offset inserts allowed me to do two things:
1. I was able to correct for the "screw hole misalignment common issue on pre-accutrigger 110's" (I had a cant to the right that windage knob could not fix).
2. I was able to use the +/- .10 inserts (with proper ring spacing) to give me elevation comparable to a 20MOA base.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/751796/weaver-top-mount-scope-base-413

hal9000
09-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Which height Zee rings are you using? Mid? And what's the clearance between your objective and the barrel?

DzNutz
09-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Which height Zee rings are you using? Mid? And what's the clearance between your objective and the barrel?
The 30mm mediums were the lowest I could buy (didn't see a lower anyway in 30mm). Not sure about clearance but I will measure tonight when I get home from work or tomorrow. Taking the day off and going to the range. I'll take some pics of both the 10FCPK and the 110. For more info on the Burris rings see this post of mine in the Optics board:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?38061-Vortex-Viper-on-the-FEDEX-truck-for-delivery!-Question-on-Rings

DzNutz
09-26-2014, 06:14 PM
100yd Zero Picture: Notice how the rings and the MOA cant has given me quite a bit more elevation with the 100 yard Zero (almost bottomed out):

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8697/aS3RsI.jpg

Picture of clearance between objective and the barrel:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8199/lmo0kI.jpg

DzNutz
10-01-2014, 08:26 AM
What did you end up running with?