PDA

View Full Version : A different Choate question

Pages : [1] 2

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Anyone used or have one of these? http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/06-06-02 <------- Not really looking at this as an option anymore, unless someone give me an opinion on it.

I have a 111 fcns 300wm and am looking to replace the stock. The options seem to be really slim pickings in this department. I would like to find something in a more traditional or varmint style that will accept a 26" heavy magnum or varmint contour barrel. I am a pretty handy guy and feel I can do things up to barrel channeling and bottom metal in-letting.

questions
1. Does the money saver come in-letted for the barreled action, or just action?
2. Can I use the factory DBM and bottom metal if I can make it work?
3. How much do they weigh-ish? (couldn't find the weight of one)
D. Can I get some pics or links to similar builds to mine?

Pretty isn't my thing, but saving money is. That being said, do you (owners of Stockade money savers) feel that the quality of the unfinished stock is worth the time/effort and wait time?

bootsmcguire
09-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Haven't even seen one of those, have you thought about a laminate?

Boyds offers some nice variations of the style of stock you seem to want in quite a few color options.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-22-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't really want laminate. I really want a MCmillian but thats gonna be 6 bills..... I just can't justify it atm.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-22-2014, 10:53 PM
or I was looking at hogue

bootsmcguire
09-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Check out the B&C Medalist. That may be just what you need.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-22-2014, 11:53 PM
they dont make that in a LA with DBM that I saw

bootsmcguire
09-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Ahh, didn't know you needed a DBM.

You could always switch to blind mag and open up a few possibilities. Pretty simple switch if you want to.

Otherwise other than the Hogue or the Medalist, and not wanting a Laminate, the only other thought I have would be to order up a Stockade in the Money Saver and finish it yourself.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-23-2014, 01:21 AM
I may just try the hogue and if I don't like it, I'll just resale it. <------ After reading some reviews and remembering the 10-22 I checked out, I think the rubber finish would suck for what I intend to do with the rig.

aubie515
09-23-2014, 04:21 PM
OP sent you a PM about a Hogue. Didn't see that you needed DBM.

I have an Hogue with full aluminum bedding block for LA, but mine is for center feed.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-23-2014, 08:10 PM
PM'd you back aubie

I looked at the Stockade "woodchuck" and I like the style. What all is involved with the money saver one? I think that seems like a good way to go. I would hate to spend money on a completely finished stock when I am just going to krylon camo it.

Plus the satisfaction of some "hands on" appeals to me.

bootsmcguire
09-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Normally it is just some light sanding to remove mold marks. Maybe some light inletting to free float the tang and barrel. Then just install pillars and/or epoxy bed and paint to your liking and your in.

Might wanna check with Stockade on their lead times. Not sure where they are running right now.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought these stocks had an aluminium bed block? Or do the pillars need to be installed also? It's my understanding that the action bolts directly to the bed block, unless I missed something.

bootsmcguire
09-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Duh, sorry been awhile since I worked with mine. Too many rifles, my apologies. Old age must be setting in very prematurely.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-24-2014, 01:07 AM
It's ok. I feel the same way. My head is spinning with all the information I have been through in this venture. I'm going to have to start treating this like a research paper and organizing my resources and info. Also, no apologies necessary. You can never have "too many guns" :)

bootsmcguire
09-24-2014, 01:18 AM
You can never have "too many guns" :)

Amen!

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-24-2014, 01:53 AM
Not to get to far off the topic, but would you keep the factory DBM and bottom metal? Or buy new stuff?

Tarheelpwr
09-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Anyone used or have one of these? http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/06-06-02 <------- Not really looking at this as an option anymore, unless someone give me an opinion on it.

I have a 111 fcns 300wm and am looking to replace the stock. The options seem to be really slim pickings in this department. I would like to find something in a more traditional or varmint style that will accept a 26" heavy magnum or varmint contour barrel. I am a pretty handy guy and feel I can do things up to barrel channeling and bottom metal in-letting.

questions
1. Does the money saver come in-letted for the barreled action, or just action?
2. Can I use the factory DBM and bottom metal if I can make it work?
3. How much do they weigh-ish? (couldn't find the weight of one)
D. Can I get some pics or links to similar builds to mine?

Pretty isn't my thing, but saving money is. That being said, do you (owners of Stockade money savers) feel that the quality of the unfinished stock is worth the time/effort and wait time?

He quoted me about 2.5 pounds on the weight. I asked my smith about the DBM and he said it can be done, but the shape of the stock doesn't match well with the DBM.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-24-2014, 03:33 PM
He quoted me about 2.5 pounds on the weight. I asked my smith about the DBM and he said it can be done, but the shape of the stock doesn't match well with the DBM.

Meh, function over form. I don't really care if it doesn't match up well. Some sort of a mag is a must though. 2.5 sounds good to me.

Any pictures of the unfinished stock as it comes?

Tarheelpwr
09-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Meh, function over form. I don't really care if it doesn't match up well. Some sort of a mag is a must though. 2.5 sounds good to me.

Any pictures of the unfinished stock as it comes?

He can go up or down as well. I don't know how much, but he can shave some weight if that matters. He has prices listed on the site for taking the weight up.

Broke_Okie_Ty
09-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Who is "he"?